Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Visitor
My Device: Playbook (64 Gig)
My Carrier: None (WI-FI only)

Cannot transfer files between Playbook and PC

After updating playbook software ealier in April, Playbook stopped showing up on PC . I updated Desktop software. I received error message saying Device is not compatible with functioin (synching, drag/drop file transfer).  There was also an error saying Playbook software needed to be updated, even though Playbook was saying I have the latest software. Still I updated again via the Desktop software update prompt. I did this twice. Nothing changed. Status: Synching not possible. Direct transfer via Windows Explorer not possible. I CAN back up the Playbook, but I cannot transfer files (File exchange is fully authorized). For now my $300, 64 Gig PB is quietly morphing into a thin sleek black brick. Any ideas?

My Device: Playbook runnin os 2.0.1.358
My Carrier: na

Re: Cannot transfer files between Playbook and PC

Similar problem. Updated my playbook running OS 2.0.1.358 upgraded over wifi. Went to connect to computer to move files over. Could not connect. Turned off AV, no better. Uninstalled and reinstalled latest Desktop Software and Drivers. No better. Shut down Playbook and turned on. No better. All of this done on Vista OS. Went to my Win 7 PC. Similar issues. Finally wiped the device. On win 7 I can move files over.

Went back to Vista OS. Similar issues again. Finally got the **bleep** thing to connect. Did my first synch. Still cannot see the Z drive mapping on Vista. Looked at KB26904 and KB27204. Still cannot map the z drive of the playbook to Vista PC.

Again usin 6.1.0.36 bundle 38 of DM. Drivers are the latest version 7. PB OS is 2.0.1.358.

Any solutions on how to map the zdrive back. Do I wipe the device. Uninstall and start all over again. Very frustrating.

My Device: BB playbook, BB 9700
My Carrier: Bell

Works for me with 2.0.1.358.  I just turned on WiFi sharing, got my network address for the PB and typed into my Windows 7 lower left search bar (\\xxx.xx.x.xxx) . Playbook came up fine. 

Trevor

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Mapping Your Network
Step 1: Make sure your Playbook is connected to Wifi.

Step 2: On your Playbook, go to Storage and Sharing and enable File Sharing and Wifi Sharing. You can enable a password if you want. I didn’t bother.

Step 3: On your Playbook, go to about and select the network tab. Take note of your IP address (IPv4). It’ll be something like 192.122.2.1. Sorry that I redacted my IP address, I’m sure you understand

Step 4: On your computer, click on the top bar and type your Playbook’s IP address. Notice that there is a \\ before the IP address; you MUST include this.

Step 5: Right click on the media folder and select “Map Network drive…”

Step 6: Assign a Drive Letter (whatever you want, it doesn’t matter. I used P for Playbook). Click Finish.

Step 7: Have a brew, and reflect on how cool it is that you can access your Playbook over WiFi quickly and easily by just clicking on the icon in your Computer directory.

You can browse the files on your Playbook now by clicking the Network Location. You can easily copy files to and from it whenever you want. You can also change the drive name by right-clicking it and selecting “Rename.” You can add in other PB's, add memory sticks and drag files whereever you want.
My Device: Blackberry 9900, 64GB Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

I'm in the same boat. After the last update none of my computers can recognize a PB.  I bought a PB for my girlfriend and after the update both of us are experiencing the same problems.  I have tried everything and it still does not work. Going through the support forum it is clear that there were a number of issues related to the latest update but I wrongly assumed that RIM would have made this a priority and pushed out a solution by now. I've been a huge RIM supporter for many years but I have to say that I am pretty frustrated with these PBs right now. 

My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Cityfone

[ Edited ]

When I plug in my iPods and USB sticks I don't need to tell the computer the IP addresses. Why does the Playbook need this? Especially because when I plug in the PB, the charging icon appears and the screen says "Connected to Computer" but for some reason neither the BlackBerry Desktop Manager nor the Windows 8's Explorer can access the PB's folders.

And all I want to do is backup my files after each major update and read my ebooks.

My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Cityfone

And what happens when I visit my friends who do not have Wi-fi and we want to share files? Traditionally, I would PLUG in my devices in their computers. If I can't even do that with the Playbook, that was a feature that was overlooked.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

misskimberlyjoy wrote:
And what happens when I visit my friends who do not have Wi-fi and we want to share files? Traditionally, I would PLUG in my devices in their computers. If I can't even do that with the Playbook, that was a feature that was overlooked.

Email?