Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

Changing the user agent/browser identification on BlackBerry PlayBook, using Web Inspector

[ Edited ]

I'm trying to access a full webpage on my BlackBerry PlayBook; unfortunately, it takes me to the mobile webpage, and I am absolutely not able to access the full version of the webpage via conventional means. However, upon searching for help on this issue, I found out that the PlayBook browser has a feature called "Web Inspector" which might be able to help, with which I have no experience in.

With that said, Web Inspector has a setting called "Override User Agent" - through http://localhost:1337 while on said webpage, I have tried this setting, using "Internet Explorer 9" as my new user agent, but I am not able to apply this setting, so that I may be able to access the full webpage from my PlayBook browser, as if though I were using the Internet Explorer 9 browser from my PC. I do have some limited experience with source code*, but every time I try to apply this setting and reload the webpage, it still takes me to the mobile site instead of the full site.

* I have modified webpages successfully via PC to get it to act differently, and I am familiar with the "View Selection Source" and "Inspect Element" features on Firefox - "Inspect Element" is especially useful for extracting elements embedded within certain parameters such as Adobe Flash, whereas one would otherwise find it impossible to do.

Can anybody provide any assistance on this matter? Is Web Inspector even capable of such a feature? Am I using Web Inspector the wrong way, or have a lack of understanding about its actual purpose? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. If it's recommended that I use Firefox as the user agent instead of Internet Explorer 9, let me know. (I find it that Internet Explorer typically has less compatibility issues with webpages, though the difference is negligible.) For the record, I have tried to apply these same settings using Firefox as my user agent, and it still didn't work.

Web Inspector - Settings, see Override User Agent

(click on the above image to enlarge it)