Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Charger Port has stopped working....

I'm sure this has been posted more than once but I can not seem to find a helpful thread about it.  My Blackberry Playbook has been working perfectly until today.... I went to charge it and the charger does NOT seem to go in and out of its ports as smoothly as it used to.  The charger icon will not light up and the battery has slowly just died due to me not being able to charge it.

**This is not a matter of me not knowing how to do the reset or any start-up issues like that**

This playbook was ON and working fine but the charger just stopped working. I have tried several replacement chargers to make sure it was not that individual one but no luck.  When I push the charger into its port it seems like somethings not going together right.  Any help that you can give me will be greatly appreciated!!!!

New Contributor
My Device: PRIV
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Charger Port has stopped working....

the same thing happened to me 3 days ago. it seems that the design of the port is inadequate and that over time it can become damaged,. that is what happened to me. i called Blackberry support and they basically told me that i damaged it, and that 'there is nothing we can do for you'. i was quite surprised. after some discussion and a lengthy hold, the 'customer service' person then offered a solution... I can pay to have it repaired. Cost unknown, but probably around $200. Thanks Blackberry... I was quite unimpressed with their lack of concern and ownership of this problem, especially becasue i bought this unit the day that they were introduced for $499, and they are now $199. Although i like the unit, and the 5 blackberry's that my family owns, this loyalty means nothing in the end. I am CERTAIN that Apple would have repaired/replaced the unit. Extremely disappointing. I also went to Staples, where i purchased the unit, and the sales person said that alot of people have had the same problem... it seems that this is an extremely inferior design and that the owners have to bear the responsibility of fixing Blackberry's design problem. I am extremely dissatisfied by it all.

As an interim measure,I ended up buying a charging pod as this uses the magnetic port, which is to the right of the port that is damaged. the downside is that this only charges the unit, and does not enable data transfer. i suppose that i will eventually throw out my playbook and buy an alternative device.

sorry for the  long response and only an interim solution, but its the best i can do.

get your act together Blackberry...  

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for your help!!

This is very dissappointing to say the least!! I've only had this Playbook for 2 months! I've had nothing but great things to say about it until now.  I have always been delicate with it so there is no reason for it to have been damaged in such a short period of time and to hear that Blackberry is taking no responsibility for such a huge fault in the hardware is disturbing.  If I can not get this tablet fixed or replaced I can guarantee that Blackberry will never again get any of my business! If anyone has any other information that they can give me I will greatly appreciate it! BTW, I do not see being forced to buy a docking station as a resonable answer! That port, as was mentioned above, is required to transfer data to and from other computers and is a must have! I am not sure about the warranty that comes with it, but I will be giving RIM a call very shortly!!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

you can still transfer data via wifi, i dont use the USB port much and have the charge dock

I have not broken a USB port yet on a device and my 6 year old son's playbook is fine with the USB port.

Hard part it for some one to decide if it was a defect or abuse. neither can be figured out over a phone call.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: bold
My Carrier: telus

I have had a problem with the charger port since it was a few weeks old. It worked sometimes and not other times. I thought it was the charger not the port. Then it worked well for a few months and I didn't worry about it, but now it's broken altogether and the battery died and I can't turn it on to even see if it's charging. I paid $699 for it (64 gb) a 90 day warrantee is **bleep** for something that costs more than my lap top. I can't even find anywhere in Waterloo, where RIM is based, to get it repaired. They have no "RIM" repair shop or technicians that the public can access, like Apple does in their stores. THe venders aren't technicians, and Best Buy, where I bought it don't specialize in repairing RIM products. I personally know RIM employees, and they can't even tell me where I can get it fixed. If I have to invest $200 after spending $700, plus travel to Toronto, I will be really upset...especially when I'm sooooo dissatisfied with the music program in it that doesnt allow me to edit my playlists and move songs around on the PlayBook itself. iPod figured out that technology over 10 years ago. I'm trying to be loyal to RIM and I prefer BlackBerry Bold over the iPhone, but what am I supposed to do here? I need the PB for my job. KW people here, any ideas?  

My Device: playbook and tourch
My Carrier: telus

check and see if some one has forced it in upside down and if so gently move it back enough to get the usb in the right way happened to mine and so far no more problems

New Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: verizon wireless

What BB doesn't realize is that those of us in the chats are committed to the platform. I have the Q10 and playbook, but since the playbook can't be fixed or won't by blackberry then there are 800 corporate users that are leaving the platform. No support is no support. BB's attitude of you bought it, it's yours really give me a sick feeling when I think of all the equipment we have out there. Anyone need a few hundred 9930's?