Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: irrelevant

Re: Charging the Playbook

A little update on this and potentially useful information for others with charging problems: I contacted RIM tech support and was walked through doing an OS reset/reinstall (didn't help). RMA is now supposed to send me a new charger (fingers crossed).

Meantime, the other morning I found that my Playbook had shut itself down. Turned it on and when it finished booting it told me the battery was at zero. By the time I had taken it down to my computer to get it plugged in it decided to shut down again. After that it wouldn't start up again, giving one long red LED followed by five flashes of the green LED.

Read all about this problem in this dialogue (currently 40 pages!):

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Play-book-wont-power-up-or-light-just-bli...

The instructions on stack charging (top of p.24) worked for me, eventually, using the original charger that shipped with the Playbook. (Took considerable patience!) I've now set Application Behaviour=Paused and am turning on airplane mode before putting it to sleep for extended periods. This is a pain, but I don't want to go through getting my Playbook back from bricked state again.

The original charger seems to be working with the Playbook again. Why is another question. The OS upgrade? Evil spirits departing to whence they came? Touching wood and hoping it keeps working.

Contributor
My Device: Bold-9780 and Playbook-32GB (Not a developer)
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

For me, it seems that the OS 2.0 upgrade has given me more problems that the original OS.

Solutions: 6,347
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

wolfe2016 wrote:

For me, it seems that the OS 2.0 upgrade has given me more problems that the original OS.

OH goodness no, much better now on OS 2.0.1

On OS 1.8 and before, you couldn't even charge while in the off state.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780, Playbook 64GB
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

I use both the original OEM USB charger and also the "Rapid" travel charger which uses the 3-pin charge port.  In both instances, I have found the Playbook to be finicky in getting a good connection for proper charging.

The presence of the lightning bolt on the battery (which indicates that the unit is charging) does not guarantee that the connection is optimal.

I downloaded the Battery Guru app which provides among other things the actual wattage of the charge-in-progress.  I use this information to confirm that the PB is actually being charged.  I use this to determine whether I need to re-insert the charger into the PB.  There have been times when I have needed to do this 2-3 times to get a good connection.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/51274/

Hope this helps.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

only twice did Ihave issue with rapid stand charging, and I have cats that shed fur a lot and that was making the contact dirty. I clean teh ontacts once in a while and no issue so far.

As for teh OEM charger, never had an issue with it chariging on any of the 3 playbooks we own at home.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

major_123 wrote:

I use both the original OEM USB charger and also the "Rapid" travel charger which uses the 3-pin charge port.  In both instances, I have found the Playbook to be finicky in getting a good connection for proper charging.

The presence of the lightning bolt on the battery (which indicates that the unit is charging) does not guarantee that the connection is optimal.

I downloaded the Battery Guru app which provides among other things the actual wattage of the charge-in-progress.  I use this information to confirm that the PB is actually being charged.  I use this to determine whether I need to re-insert the charger into the PB.  There have been times when I have needed to do this 2-3 times to get a good connection.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/51274/

Hope this helps.

Is the "Rapid" charge the base ?

If it is, then that thing is missng an important feature... the connection with the computer, without it when ever I tried to connect to the computer the Playbook was drained to 50% in les than 30 minutes, and the funny thing is that I can use the Playbook a lot when not plugged in to the computer, I have done that for over 8 hours

Paying $40 for that thinking that it would also connect to the computer and charge the Playbook like every other device, and it charge as fast as the charger that came with the Bold 9900, which is what I sue when I am not at my desk

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Redington

thanks for good info.
but it is strong negative point for playbook.
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: verizon

I was able to to revive my playbook after some CPR. 

I did what was sugested by comeone in the forum

- charge it until the red light is gone 

- remove the outlet for 10 secs

- plug back in and let it charge until the red light is gone

- repest above remove and plug back steps 10 times

- push and hold on power button. 

- screen show a big charging icon with flash 

- see green LED soft blinking 

I will let it sit overnite and update you guys 

Solutions: 6,347
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

slowfire wrote:

I was able to to revive my playbook after some CPR.

Great, glad you're back on the right road. Good luck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold-9780 and Playbook-32GB (Not a developer)
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

I was not so lucky as I had to send my PB into RIM. However their customer service was excellent and the entire process only lasted about a week.