Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650/Playbook
My Carrier: Sprint

Checking Software Updates Issue

Just received my new Playbook. Trying to set it up and have run into a problem - Cant get past checking for Software updates. Error message appears that states: Cannot activate tablet - 3001 Please try changing your settings.

When a try to change settings it only takes me back to the WiFi screen.

Any help will be appreciated

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Checking Software Updates Issue

I just got off of the phone with RIM and after bitching about their troubleshooting (I am a networking professional and they keep trying to say that the wifi network is the issue, BS, my network is better than perfect) but I had my ticket escalated and I have a method for manually updating the Playbook using the Desktop Management Software.

First go download the Blackberry Desktop Management software. Here is a US link to the software:

http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

*NOTE* When you first plug your playbook into a computer it will automatically want to install the BLACKBERRY DEVICE MANAGER which is different from the BLACKBERRY DESKTOP MANAGER. *NOTE*

Once the software finishes the installation and the computer restarts, open the software. The software will take a while to open but once it is open you should see a screen that says something to the nature of plugging in a blackberry device.

*NOTE* THE PLAYBOOK HAS TO BE TURNED OFF FOR THIS TO WORK. I WILL REPEATE MYSELF, THE PLAYBOOK HAS TO BE OFF FOR THIS TO WORK. *NOTE*

Connect the turned off playbook to the computer using the included USB cable. (WHEN I FIRST PLUGGED IT IN IT HAD TO INSTALL MORE DRIVERS, JUST FYI) Once the tablet is connected a window should come up saying that the software could not communicate with the device and you have three option at the bottom of the window: Try Again, Update Software, and Cancel.

I was told on the phone that pressing the Update Software button would force an update to the device through the computer and this would in turn bypass the issue with connection the device to wifi to download the software update. I am in the middle of downloading and installing the update right now and everything seems to be going fine for me. Wish me luck and I hope this helps!!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

schm1tty wrote:

I just got off of the phone with RIM and after bitching about their troubleshooting (I am a networking professional and they keep trying to say that the wifi network is the issue, BS, my network is better than perfect) but I had my ticket escalated and I have a method for manually updating the Playbook using the Desktop Management Software.

First go download the Blackberry Desktop Management software. Here is a US link to the software:

http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

*NOTE* When you first plug your playbook into a computer it will automatically want to install the BLACKBERRY DEVICE MANAGER which is different from the BLACKBERRY DESKTOP MANAGER. *NOTE*

Once the software finishes the installation and the computer restarts, open the software. The software will take a while to open but once it is open you should see a screen that says something to the nature of plugging in a blackberry device.

*NOTE* THE PLAYBOOK HAS TO BE TURNED OFF FOR THIS TO WORK. I WILL REPEATE MYSELF, THE PLAYBOOK HAS TO BE OFF FOR THIS TO WORK. *NOTE*

Connect the turned off playbook to the computer using the included USB cable. (WHEN I FIRST PLUGGED IT IN IT HAD TO INSTALL MORE DRIVERS, JUST FYI) Once the tablet is connected a window should come up saying that the software could not communicate with the device and you have three option at the bottom of the window: Try Again, Update Software, and Cancel.

I was told on the phone that pressing the Update Software button would force an update to the device through the computer and this would in turn bypass the issue with connection the device to wifi to download the software update. I am in the middle of downloading and installing the update right now and everything seems to be going fine for me. Wish me luck and I hope this helps!!

so how many times are we gonna see your postings.   do you really have a playbook?

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor

Let me quote myself since it is quite apparent that you didn't care to read my post all the way, "I am in the middle of downloading and installing the update right now and everything seems to be going fine for me", which can be translated to, "I am trying this on my Playbook right now". I posted on different threads to held the different people out there who are having the same issue that I was having. When I have issues I find this to be much more helpful than replying and criticizing other people who are trying to help those in need. You would have been better off not posting anything and just gtfo.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Just saying this is a posting that your network is better than perfect and that your a professional. Several post are like you copied and pasted the same thing. When ever I called support they always solved my issue within 24 hours. All of your suggestion have been solutions. If you are the professional you would have searched and found what you are posting is old news.

Note: That many of us are dayoners and help here as a volunteer. Just saying search prior to posting.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor

I replied to several people who were having the same issue that I was, as well as several people who were being led in circles by the support from RIM, just like I was. I'm trying to help those other people who were being led in circles by the simple troubleshooting just as I was until my ticket was escalated. I'm trying to help, you should gtfo with all this passive aggressive criticism.

New Contributor
My Device: Tablet 16 GB 2011
My Carrier: at&T

Is it worked for you,am struggling with same issue and t/ q support team is working on it but they asked me to wait
New Contributor
My Device: Tablet 16 GB 2011
My Carrier: at&T

Error : Could not activater this tablet.(3001)

I got my tablet on 14th and immidately after doing intial settings it took me to  Software update page and end up with Error message Could not activate this tablet.(3001).I have looged tickt with Blackberry T/Q support premimum and was in call for almost 4 times (spend 3 hours) ,still no response or solution.They asked me to wait today again when I called for 48 hrs.First of all :

1.If somebody knows we have solution or got solution ,please let me know.

Its really troubling me now.

Thanks

Vibs

Retired
My Device: 9000, 9500
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Error : Could not activater this tablet.(3001)

Hello Vibs,

Have you tried connecting using a different network to test it. What point does this message come up? Were you ever able to use the BlackBerry PlayBook.

Thank you

-DrP

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650/Playbook
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Error : Could not activater this tablet.(3001)

Since I was the one who started this thread I will let you know that my Playbook is up and running.

Following many of the solutions suggested on this thread and contacting Technical Support via email the following is how I registered my Playbook.

1. I had to re-install the software as outlined in this thread by clicking on the UPDATE option in the window that appears. I did this twice once to dowload the software to attempt to register the device. This attempt to register the Playbook. I believe this is due to a hard firewall in my router.
  2. The second thing that was done and what actually allowed the Playbook to be registered (after re-installing the software) was to go to a place with a different internet connection that was not protected in any way.

Since I successfully registered my Playbook my home network/ internet connection has worked perfectly.