Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB PlayBook, BB Z10 (replaces my Motorola BIONIC), Apple iPhone5; iPhone3S
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Connect two playbooks together without any network equipment. Direct Peer-to-Peer.

I'm sure I am not the only one to ask this, but have not found answers nor anyone explaining the question in full detail.

More developers are creating multiplayer games that use two or more playbooks connected over a WiFi network.

Here is the use case: I have three playbooks for my family (mine, and the kids). At home we can connect via our local wireless router. However, when we are traveling, we have no WiFi router to connect through. So lets say we take a 5 hour drive to go camping. They want to play games on their PBs. In the vehicle I would like them to be able to connect their PBs to each other for the multiplayer games.

Can this be done with the PB? If so, how?

This would have additional, huge, benefits at work. It would make it so much easier to share/transfer files between PBs of co-workers. There are so many cases in which a WiFi network is not available, or a secure connection is not available. I would like to be able to transfer files with co-workers when we are at the airport or share notes when attending a conference. Both cases in which a secure connection is not likely available.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QNX + Android = BB10 = The only platform that offers the freedom of choice.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Connect two playbooks together without any network equipment. Direct Peer-to-Peer.

personal wifi is avalable with OS 7.1 on blackberry smartphones

I have not tested it but it might do what you are looking for until the playbook supports wifi hotspot

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB PlayBook, BB Z10 (replaces my Motorola BIONIC), Apple iPhone5; iPhone3S

Re: Connect two playbooks together without any network equipment. Direct Peer-to-Peer.

As my kids do not have cell phones that will not work. I am, however, going to try using the hotspot on my android. Only problem is I have to disable the cell (put it in plane mode) to prevent data usage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

give it a wirl and let us know if it works

I dont have a dataplan for wifi hotspot to test it, wish all carriers would be the same but some are more greedy than others.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

Not quite what you're looking for, but there are portable wifi routers available. They are often used by travellers who want wifi from wired internet in a  hotel room. Most are USB powered (e.g. a laptop, or your car battery via a 12V adapter, or a USB power pack), some are even battery operated. Such a router should be able to provide a local wifi network for both PB's and other devices to connect to and communicate with eachother. You should be able to pick one up online for $20-$30 on Amazon, or less still on eBay.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Trusted Contributor

I'm looking for a direct WiFi connection between the PBs. The way to discribe it is turning a PB into a hot spot (ad-hoc WiFi network) or being able to pair the two together via bluetooth. Looking at gaming systems, a Nintendo DS can 'link' to another one without a WiFi hotspot. That is what I am looking for.

Planning to try using my android cell hotspot while in airplane mode this weekend. I like the idea of a small portable router. Will look into that as well.

I understand RIMs stand on security, but allow those of use who have PBs as personal devices to do things like Ad-Hoc networks. Give corporations the ability to lock that out if their security requires that.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Innovatology wrote:

Not quite what you're looking for, but there are portable wifi routers available. They are often used by travellers who want wifi from wired internet in a  hotel room. Most are USB powered (e.g. a laptop, or your car battery via a 12V adapter, or a USB power pack), some are even battery operated. Such a router should be able to provide a local wifi network for both PB's and other devices to connect to and communicate with eachother. You should be able to pick one up online for $20-$30 on Amazon, or less still on eBay.

Just so I know you are saying.  I don't need a connection to the intent or data plan. I would be able to connect 2 playbooks together.  

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

aandras wrote:

Innovatology wrote:

Just so I know you are saying.  I don't need a connection to the intent or data plan. I would be able to connect 2 playbooks together.  

Correct no connection needed to internet but both playbooks should be able to conenct to each other.