Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: 447880957300

Cost of Blackberry Playbook repairs

For some unknown reason my Playbook 64gb was refusing to charge. I read many forum posts trying to establish a cause and every "fix" didn't seem to work.

I contacted Blackberry support and had a great experience with a guy called Herlander. He was patient, thorough and courteous. I was taken aback by the quality of his customer service. My Playbook was collected by FedEX and shipped off to their repair centre where I was hopeful that it would be fixed under it's warranty.

I received a phone call a few days later saying that the usb/charging port was damaged and it could be repaired at a cost of £113......... 

Firstly I was astounded that it was damaged as I have never had to have any of my gadgets or tech repaired before and I had used the device rather minimally over the past year. Secondly the cost?! I can purchase a brand new Playbook for a few pounds more or even a used one for less.

My question is, how can they charge so much for such a small repair and for so close to the cost of a new one?

All the good work by Herlander has been completely undone and they have lost a customer for life.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: none at present

Re: Cost of Blackberry Playbook repairs

My question is, how can they charge so much for such a small repair and for so close to the cost of a new one?

Micro soldering is not a small repair.It may be small in size but very delicate.Had you been using the USB charging port correctly with the proper side of the usb cable end facing up (IE the blackberry logo not the usb logo)?? If not, then you cant blame Blackberry for cost of repairs for one's carelessness

Gene
My Device: BB Playbook
My Carrier: BellAliant

Re: Cost of Blackberry Playbook repairs

I have had the exact same problem with my playbook. I have only had it for 1 year and in that time , had to send it back to be repaired 3 times because the usb port was not working. I am an adult who has taken great care of my playbook ,only charging it with the appropriate chords. I have been told that if I want my playbook repaired it will cost me $99 (CAN). It is obvious that there is a flaw in the USB port of the playbooks . It would be wise for RIM to make sure the products they currently have out are manufactured  properly , and that their existing customers are happy . I don't care what new products they are unveiling I will never buy another BlackBerry product after the poor way I have been treated by RIM.