Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520 + PlayBook
My Carrier: Orange UK

Dead Battery

Battery died, used the 2A (provided) charger, and the device won't boot or appear to charge, furthest it ever got was being stuck on the boot screen (Logo only, not the bokeh animation one).

I know a few people with the same issue, OS is the second most recent.

Any help?

Tried the Pwr Vol+ Vol- trick, to no success...  

----------------------------------------------------------------
"When in doubt, try another hole"
Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: Dead Battery

If your battery is dead or near dead, you have a problem. If you follow these instructions you may be able to make a recovery but it will take some time. The charger is controlled by software. The software will not run because the battery voltage is too low. When the battery is too low and you turn on the PB, It will only run for about 4 minutes and then shut down again. During this 4 minutes, the charger will begin charging but since the battery voltage is still too low, the unit will shut down again and the charger will shut off. To get the voltage up sufficiently for the PB To continue, you have to have the charger plugged in and every 5 minutes or so, you have to hold the power button on until the red light flashes then release it.It will once again recharge for 4 minutes.  You may have to repeat these steps at least 10 times. Once the voltage gets up a bit, the charger should stay on but it will takes 6 hours to fully recharge the battery. When your charger is charging, it will feel warm to the touch so check it often to see if it is in fact charging. 

Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbox
My Carrier: None...wifi

No kidding, good to know
Forums Veteran I

Adam,
Did this procedure work for your dead battery?
Contributor

I tried your stack charging idea, and it didn't work. Looks like i'm going to have to spent the next few days annoying GeekSquad... apparently a repair could take 2 weeks Smiley Sad </3  

Developer
Developer
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

I had a playbook where the battery died and couldn't get it to charge for almost two weeks. One day I just decided to keep repeatedly pressing the power button on it to see what would happen while it was charging and it started working. After about a minute or two of pressing the button the screen lit up with a charging battery icon and it took about an hour for it to actually show it was charging (stayed at 0% but it did turn on) it charged up and has been working fine for a few days now. Now I know not to let it stay off the charger after it dies.
Forums Veteran I

If the PlayBook has no light activity, hold the start button only down for no more than 20 seconds. Make sure you are plugged into the charger and a energized wall outlet. Allow to recharge overnight.
Highlighted
Contributor

Good News Everyone!

After I sent it back to Carphone Warehouse, and they confirmed my issues, they "Sent it off for repair".
I have now been back to collect my PlayBook, and guess what? They've replaced it with a new/refurbished one!

Hooray! It's charging now... Issue Solved! 

Developer
My Device: Pearl 9105 - Playbook 16Gb
My Carrier: Tigo

I am so happy for you, mine is still dead.
Pearl 9105 6.0 Bundle 2950
Playbook 2.1.0.1032
Forums Veteran I

Gmsm,
Do you get any lights when trying to restart?
Can you give it the three button reset. By holding the power button and both volume buttons down all at the same time for 15 seconds have it connected to the charger. If it is totally dead, you may not get any indication that it is even trying to charge. If it is totally dead it may take several hours even for it to indicate 1% charge.