Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: Vodafone

DeadBook

Hi. I was a happy Playbook owner and I say “was” because a matter of weeks after buying it it seemed to stop charging and I had to return it under warranty. Imagine my horror to be told the micro USB port was damaged, probably due the the connector having been inserted upside down. Now, as far as I know only I used the device  and I’m fully aware which way up the connector goes (Logo up!). Unfortunately I can’t rule out somebody attempting to plug it in incorrectly upside down in my absence, unlikely though it seems to me.
Anyway, I was quoted £90+ to carry out the repair which, having just spent £199 on the device was too much and it was returned to me unrepaired since when I have sat on it sulking and vowing to never support RIM again.
Today I was flicking through a few other forums to see if I could find a resource for a cheaper, third party repair when I ran across tails from many dozens of people all singing RIM’s praises after having their USB ports repaired despite having admitted their offspring, wives et al had inserted the connector upside down. It seems a certain select band DID have their devices repaired under warranty so why not mine? At the very least they could have advised (if not supplied) a rapid charger rather than leave me with a £200 paperweight. The thing is in immaculate condition so I won’t give up just yet.
Anyway, this is in summary one last attempt to see if anyone has any ideas how I can get the device working. I have moved on to a Nexus 7 and am perfectly happy but RIM could do much worse than have the BB brand live on through my kids who would become the primary users, and ultimately RIM's future success or failure potentially.
Here’s hoping

Solutions: 6,395
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: DeadBook

You should call your PlayBook support number and explain just that. I've seen lots of users very pleased with their support lately and replacement of devices such as yours or at least given the rapid charger. I'd just say don't give up.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I've looked everywhere for a contact telephone number or support email address and the only one I've found so far was help@rim.com which returns the wonderfully helpful message stating: "Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. The email you submitted has not been delivered. Please find many alternative support options below.". Those options are primarily their Twitter account and this forum :-/  RIM have done a fine job of making it just about impossible to speak to anyone directly.

If anyone has any suggestions for how I can contact them I'd be most grateful.

Where are you?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

He is in Britain judging by the currency. Go to blackberry.com/support andit will redirect to UK page. Or go to http://uk.blackberry.com/support.html on a PC. If you haven't already registered you will get 90 days phone support starting now.

£199 is too much, Currys had them for £119 for months, though only 16GB ones left at £109.

If you get it back see if the central part of the socket is bent and try to straighten it.

If it is otherwise working, get a desktop charge dock from Amazon for about 25 quid, and use usb wifi file sharing to move files, then you only ever need to use usb to debrick a dead playbook. I never use my usb lead.

Of course if it is dead already you are stuffed m8.

EDIT: if you are UK, you are protected from "Inherent Faults" for up to two years under Sale of Goods Act. Use the posts on here as proof of inherent fault and threaten with small claims court. 

Thanks guys for the help. Sorry yes, I'm in the UK, that might have been a useful bit of info to share (".)  I paid £199 several months ago when that was the going rate. I'd only had it around three weeks when this happened and since getting it back it's basically sat in a cupboard with me trying tto find a way to get it repaired. Still well under 12 months old though

To look at them both ports looks absolutely fine. The charger connector pushes roughly into place but it doesn't have the usual reassuring click as it slots into place so I must assume the pins have somehow got twisted and/or pushed into the bottom of the connector thus stopping it quite sliding home fully. Certainly the little plastic tongue appears to be where it has always been.

Looked at the support page you linked to but still can't find an obvious telephone number or email address to use???

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

awesome, thanks!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Sorry they updated the page layout.  you may have to go here and register before calling that 0800 number

http://uk.blackberry.com/support/tablets/playbook/contact-support.html

Dead end, it's been over 90 days :-( Probably had it since June thinking about it and been out of action since about July.