Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

Defect in PlayBook - USB

Hi,
Last week I received my PlayBook won in the Game Port-A-Thon. It worked perfectly for a few days and now the USB port stopped working. I checked the cable on other devices and it is fine, so the problem is in the PlayBook. Now I can't charge it or connect it to the computer. What am I supposed to do about it?
Thanks,
Ori Hollander

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Defect in PlayBook - USB

Contact RIM Customer Support and explain the situation. They have been great about supporting the Playbook.

http://us.blackberry.com/support/tablets/playbook/contact-support.html

Once you get it worked out I highly recommend getting a rapid charger that doesn't use the USB port for charging.

http://www.amazon.com/Blackberry-Rapid-Travel-Charger-Playbook/dp/B004XBZ728/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Hi,
Thanks for quick answer. The problem with the solution you gave is that I'm not from the US, I'm from Israel, and the site does not state that the support is good for Israel. Is there anything I can do abou that?
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Try going to www.blackberry.com/playbook and clicking on Support at the top. If you're in Israel it should direct you to the proper support page. You may have to try contacting one of the other support numbers to see what they can do for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Hi,
I found the Israeli support site, but for some reason they don't list a phone number to call in Israel. The site only contains manuals fo BB smartphones and links to here and the BB blog. Is there any email I can contact? I can't register for the 90-day support because Israel isn't listed in the country list.
Thanks!
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

Looks like you are not supposed to have a Playbook in Israel. Did you buy it there? did you use Israelas your location when setting up?

My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

No, he got it as a gift from RIM during a Portathon.

I'd call the US support number and explain. or the UK #

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB, OS 2.1.0.1314, with leather case-stand, fast dock charger, dual purpose car/home ReTrak charger... and more!
My Carrier: not cellular, just wi-fi - all I ever need!

[ Edited ]

Hi ORI,

Hey man, I am sure that you would be the first to agree that there's no point in jumping to conclusions when you are dealing with the sophisticated electronic devices we have today. One thing is for sure: computers (that's a tablet) can't think like a human (in fact, they cannot think at all and never will), so they only do what we INSTRUCT them to do (in predetermined code reacting to events and/or, if you wish, by user input or lack of input).

Now then, with that in mind, we have to admit that WE are the problem 99.9% of the time (with 0.1% reserved for hardware faults) -  because we give this device a wrong instruction to execute and so we don't see what we expect to see on the screen.

Okay, if we agree on that, then we have to approach the problem you have with one assumption: it is a bad instruction that is causing your problem. So we go to a method of the balance of probabilities and implement causal actions to find a solution. In other words, let's see if the problem has a very ordinary cause, one which we can address easily by a process of deduction.

So let's start the problem dissection and solution by eliminating any obvious areas of fault that we ourselves may have caused. For example:

1) When you say that "the USB port stopped working", what exactly do you mean? This is very unclear. You need to be more specific, like what exactly were you doing BEFORE it "stopped working" and what exactly did you do AFTER it "stopped working" that enabled you to conclude that it "stopped workiing"? What exactly do you mean by "working"?

2) When you say that "I checked the cable on other devices so it's fine" you cannot conclude from just this one point that the BBPB (BlackBerry PlayBook) has a fault.

Firstly, you CANNOT communicate with a computer (Mac or PC or any other such device) UNLESS YOU HAVE INSTALLED THE BLACKBERRY DESKTOP SOFTWARE that is specifically designed to RECOGNIZE ("see") your BBPB device. If you didn't install the software, there is no point at all of connecting your USB cable in the first place.

3) You are NOT SUPPOSED TO USE A USB TO CHARGE the BBPB. Although it will charge this way, it is not enough of a charge (or even a negative charge!!!) for the PlayBook, especially if an APP is active. You should be using the supplied BLACKBERRY CHARGER or a third party QUICK CHARGER (the latter is a charger that the BBPB sits upright upon, using the charging pins at the bottom of the BBPB, not the USB port).

So, let's check the following out so we can progress in solving the problem:

1. Did you download the BLACKBERRY DESKTOP SOFTWARE to your computer yet? If not, download/ install it.

2. If so, what instruction do you see when you execute the software? Does it say "connect your device", for instance?

3. Stop trying to CHARGE your BBPB with the USB cable/port. Plug in the BBPB with the BLACKBERRY CHARGER that came with your BBPB tablet. Leave it plugged in until you see a green light glow on your BBPB.

4.  Now tha the BBPB is fully charged and the software is downloaded and installed, connect the USB to the BBPB and tell me what happens, okay?

P.S. The MICRO-USB port is the one in the MIDDLE. If you forced the MICRO-USB connector into any other port or if you tried to connect the MICRO-USB connector "upside down", you may have damaged the pins and so, you may have damaged the hardware --- and that is why it might not work anymore.

Guru II

Wonder, please don't start your 8-page, irrlenant posts again. One would assume since Orhol won his BBPB from the Port A Thon that he probably knows what he's doing when it comes to computers.

Your post, again, is irrelevant since he just needs a means of getting RIM support for repair/replacement.

Thank you.

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

smh

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code