Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: BB playbook, BB Curve 9300
My Carrier: Vodacom SA
Accepted Solution

Device Manager Download for Macbook

I bought my playbook last week in New York and somehow lost the Device Manager install CD before arriving back in South Africa today. How do I get another CD? I have the latest version of the Desktop Software but my Mac does not read the Playbook at all.

By the way, is there a link to a Mac forum for BB within the community?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Device Manager Download for Macbook

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: AT&T

Hello there, are you getting a  "The computer cannot communicate with the device." message?

if you are, then the Playbook needs to mount as a network drive prior interaction with your Desktop Software.

Try this on your Mac

1. click open network preferences.

2. click System Preferences. The following message will populate: You can't install the 'Network' preferences pane because it is already installed.
3. click OK.
4. under Internet & Wireless select Network.
 5. click the + under the listed Network Devices.
6. select the interface and enter a name for the new service.
Interface: RIM Network Device
Service Name:
RIM Network Device
7. click Create.

After this you should be able to use the Playbook with your Desktop Software Smiley Wink

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: At&t

Hi! I,ve tried to use wi-fi sharing on my mac but I I keep getting the same error:  "Server doesn't exist or is not availabe.  Check IP address and try again"

But I'm sure I'm using the same proxy shown in the settings of  my PB?

Am I missing something??

Please Help

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: AT&T

The steps described before are required for the USB file sharing.

You can get more detailed instructions here

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB26068

Note: When the instructions state BlackBerry PlayBook CD is not an actual cd but thats how your PlayBook is recognized on your Mac on first connection.

VERY IMPORTANT. Playbook wont work via USB unless you have WiFi turned OFF on the PlayBook.

Contributor

knottyrope gave this link to the Macbook area on the bb site http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-for-Mac/bd-p/blackberryformac

So thanks Knottyrope

Contributor

Thanks for the link to the DM Mac area. So far i still do not have the solution yet.
Contributor

Thanks, I will try that once I get the Mac to read the USB.

Contributor

happybushman wrote:

.../

Note: When the instructions state BlackBerry PlayBook CD is not an actual cd but thats how your PlayBook is recognized on your Mac on first connection.

VERY IMPORTANT. Playbook wont work via USB unless you have WiFi turned OFF on the PlayBook.

This works to connect to the PlayBook to the MACBOOK WI-FI connection. On the Mac you will need to enter the PB IP address manually after entering RIM Network Device as per the instructions posted by happybushman in the previous post.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000/Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

I have tried this, updated desktop software etc. with no luck. I ended up deleting the network device profile for RIM and now my playbook pops up as a hard disk like any other usb drive...