Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Virgin mobile

Disappointed with long awaited system update

There are a few new features and and enhancements, but...

- still no file system with Pictures! It's almost useless when you're faced with navigating thru hundreds of albums.

- still no auto-rotation with photos!!

- still only extremely limited video file-type support. It's puzzling that standard Sony, or wmv formats are not playable. It's not on to have to convert all of one's video library, and to have to convert every new video.

- most of my newspaper apps no longer work; CBC News app is dead.

- still no Gmail app.

- still no Skype.

(Yes, I understand that some of the apps I need will have to come from developers. But from the get-go RIM should have been working with developers to make sure that basic features/apps that virtually every consumer would want would be available at launch, or shortly thereafter. Either that, or RIM should have waved off consumers.)

After eagerly waiting six months to get a PB, I discovered immediately that altho the hardware was elegant, the software was half baked, and definitely not ready for prime time. I expected that the first updates would correct obvious deficiencies... but they haven't.

Perhaps RIM is not interested in the non-business side of the market; either that, or they have a long way to go in understanding customer support. As it is, I'm beginning to feel quite disappointed with my PB experience.

My friends & family just might be right when they say, "See! We told you to get an iPad!" Over to you, RIM.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Disappointed with long awaited system update

The iPad2 is nice, but it's also 2lbs.
Good point on the news apps: huffington post, globe news works. CBC and national post don't pull up content.
-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Just tested Huffingtonpost.com and cbc.ca/news, etc., other subs all work fine for me.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Sprint

Hey, we did get some more browser email links on the top level that can't be deleted!  That's good, right?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone, Please test all your other apps.

Not Working:

My SimpleNotes doesn't work.
Same with HelloNote
Same with Scroodle too

The Gazette

Gas Watch

-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Contributor
My Device: Playbook and Tour
My Carrier: Telus

I would like to add to the disappointed list something that I think severely limits the ability to the Playbook to be useful as a business device. My hope was that this portable device would allow me to go from one meeting to another and give me access to all the documents that are entered into the calendar entry that are required for that meeting. Sit down, open calendar entry for that meeting (via Bridge) and open documents then blah blah.

Can do this on the blackberry Tour - BUT documents too small and cumbersome to read.

Calendar in Tour will sync to Playboom via Blackberry Bridge. 

Entry in PB calendar shows that there are attachments but they cannot be opened. This is no use. Similar file attachments in emails via Bridge can be opened.

Don't know it RIM plans to include this in the future. To me it seems to be a fundamental requirement for the Playbook to become a Workbook.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16mb

I also updated my system today and lost all news apps including all thoses mentioned plus the Ottawa Citizen ... I use the news apps extensively!! ... wouls appreciate hearing bac from a RIM rep on the fix ASAP!!
Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: O2

Does RIM wait with an update everyone is complaining, that they don't Update the OS.

Does RIM an Update everyone is complaining that the Upgrade is not big enough...

Just to make it clear: I love my Playbook!

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8530 curve
My Carrier: cellular south

Disappointed is an understatement. All I wanted was the basic's fixed so the PB would do everything my BOLD OS6 will do. It did not happen!

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobile

Not Working:

CBC News

Ottawa Citizen

Readers Digest

Working:

Globe News

Car & Driver

Neil "Strider" Looby