Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB PlayBook, BB Z10 (replaces my Motorola BIONIC), Apple iPhone5; iPhone3S
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Discussion: BB10 for PlayBook minus Android, why not?

So, BB has pulled the plug on BB10 for PlayBook. Seems the most compelling reason is the BB10 with Android support requires a large amount of RAM to provide a smooth user experience. With only 1GB of RAM, the PlayBook just cannot handle it and still perform well. 

If this is the case, then I have a good question for BB. Instead of aleinating the PlayBook from the BB10 playground, why not offer something from all of the work that has already been put into it? The first step? I would look into running BB10 on the PlayBook without Android. After all, the push is to get Android developers to see how great BB10 is and eventually move there apps to BB10 native/cascades.

Now, the next would be to offer the release as a paid upgrade. Say $10US or $20US. Why? Regain some of the engineering cost. In addition, it would provide feedback on how bad users want the PlayBook. If 1 Million users upgraded the OS for $10US, that is $10 Million dollars. Hhmm, I know, small change, but you cannot put a price on loyal customers.

Ok, back to the beginning. If BB10 were to be offered without Android, does that reduce the overhead enough to run smoothly with only 1GB of RAM? I do not know. But I do know this, if my PlayBook could run BB10 without Android, I would most certainly continue to use.

If PlayBook had BB10 would it boost support and sales of the unit? I beleive it would.

So, your thoughts?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QNX + Android = BB10 = The only platform that offers the freedom of choice.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Discussion: BB10 for PlayBook minus Android, why not?

So many folk been waiting for Skype and it is (and may remain) an Android port. It's Jelly bean and a decent browser that is the main benefit. All the rest is bells and whistles.

My Device: Playbook, Z30
My Carrier: Telus

I think most Playbook users coud be happyc with a better browser, an enhanced android player fof apps such as Google maps and Skype and a working bridge. Bb10 app compatibility could also be considered so the PB  app store does not die.

Developer
My Device: PassPort, Z30
My Carrier: Bell

I would pay for an upgrade to a working BB10.
Developer
My Device: Z30

Even simpler: no BB10 but Cascades framework (and better notifications Smiley Wink) for PlayBook. This allows for the same awesome UI experience on the PlayBook.

Devs will be happy because they can use same APIs (at least the supported ones) and users get better user experience with Cascades.

Android Player was a bad idea from the start but in order to get apps BB had to Smiley Sad

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my apps in the BlackBerry World
Visit my developer blog alopix.net
BBM Channel: C0047B612