Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbox
My Carrier: None...wifi

Do the developers not want to get rich?

If I were an app developer, my first priority would be to find out which apps were neded on a device. My second would be to create the needed application. Third would be to price it so it would bring me the cost of the development and a decent markup, yet still be a relative deal for end users who are chomping at the bit for a need application.
Just researching through this forum, I see a need for a third party email client, Skype, a proper working ebook reader, Netflix and a proper working gps.

Now, if I owned my own development company I would start in these items in any priority seeing as users would pay for these apps pretty quickly once they were released.

Is there a problem with rim's user agreement that won't let developers make such apps?
Is the playbook so locked down that it is impossible to make such an app? Are only quality developers working on apps for other platforms with a user base of a 1000 times more?

I don't understand why these obvious cash cows have not come into fruition yet.

Or is it that everyone has just settled with this platform and doesn't care or have the smarts to make these apps for a user base of only a few hundred thousand.

I have only rattled off 5 apps, that I feel I would pay 10 to 15 dollars a piece. If only a small % of users purchased these some of these apps, sales would still be in the millions.
Sounds like easy decision on the part of intelligent business owner.

Solutions: 6,378
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Do the developers not want to get rich?

Dshanty wrote:

Is there a problem with rim's user agreement that won't let developers make such apps?
Is the playbook so locked down that it is impossible to make such an app? Are only quality developers working on apps for other platforms with a user base of a 1000 times more?

No, it's not a 'lock' on RIM's end. For Netflix, Skype and Kindle, the block lies in the content providers.

GPS? What's not working proper? There are great GPS apps... go try VCMS, for one. Or, state clearly what you're looking for.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

The native email is fine. Gps works and we'll netflix, Skype and kindle will be the responsibility of there respective companies.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Regular Contributor

I haven't used a couple of the apps I had posted about. I was just going off of posting topics.
Please omit my including of the gps in my previous posting if it is indeed working well.
They were just examples, no need for nit picking.
Thanks
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I don't see how you can say the native email is fine.
On the first 3 pages in this forum, there were 11 separate topics posted about trouble with emails.(at the time I posted this reply)
I never mentioned anything about kindle. I just stated a new reader should be in the works.

As for the gos there was plenty of brouhaha on this site a few weeks ago about many having trouble with it
Solutions: 6,378
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Dshanty wrote:
Please omit my including of the gps in my previous posting if it is indeed working well.
They were just examples, no need for nit picking.

"Nitpicking"? You're the one that said it wasn't working. So it's nitpicking if one responds to your specific post?

Dshanty wrote:
a proper working ebook reader,

From that request comes the suggestion for Kindle. You asked, I answered. Smiley Wink

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: me

[ Edited ]

aandras"The native email is fine. Gps works and we'll netflix, Skype and kindle will be the responsibility of there respective companies.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep

------------------------------------------

I'm starting to wonder if some posters on here are indeed paid employees of RIM.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

RIM released last week or this week a bunch of new tools for developers, there is a lot more coming soon.

The app selection after just one year is great, remember the other companies ported phone versions to tablets on similar OS.

QNX on the Playbook has made great progress in one year.

and I work for a private company

I come here to keep my mind fresh and help others with my knowledge

I used to live in my moms basement and even then i never had a need for skype, phone, email or tin can with string cause it was 20+ years ago.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

[ Edited ]

mikejohanson wrote:

aandras"The native email is fine. Gps works and we'll netflix, Skype and kindle will be the responsibility of there respective companies.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep

------------------------------------------

I'm starting to wonder if some posters on here are indeed paid employees of RIM.

I am not a paid employee, but volunteer to help others who seek help.  Our only payment is the knowledge that we help.   It is some posters who are like you who critize too much.

It is also the poster search for their answers prior to asking the same questions and say they did everything when in fact they did not.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
My Device: 9860
My Carrier: AT&T

hey man, did you try https://imo.im/ ? no video but it works for skype chat

Hey man, Happy 420. Enjoy the wonderful blackberry. Peace out my froggies.