Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook 64Gb, 9550
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Docs to Go won't recognize any Excel files or create them

I haven't tried DTG on my PlayBook since I got it the end of last year.  Today I tried to open DOC, PPT, and XLS files and all worked except XLS.  I tried several,including .xlsx, using Excel 2007 and nothing works.  I hit the browse button, click on the file I want and hit open.  The screen goes back to DTG and nothing happens.

I can create a DOC file from DTG but if I hit the Excel icon, nothing happens there either. It is like that part of the code is missing.  I have no idea which version of DTG shipped as it isn't listed in My World and I can't figure out how to check it.  I can't delete it as the trash can doesn't appear when you hold down the icon and there is no DTG available to download from BlackBerry World.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: Docs to Go won't recognize any Excel files or create them

I have problems with files that have the file extension with the X added to the end such as. Docx, .xlsx. You can use the File Manager to rename these files by removing the x from the end of the file extension. Other than that I have no problem with Docs to Go.
New Contributor

If no one has this problem, then it must be a corrupted Docs to Go app.  How do I delete and reinstall?  Do I have to do a security wipe or something else?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Do a backup of your files first, then do a security wipe. If you have Android Apps, they will not backup. The wipe will delete any files, photos, music etc you have put on the PlayBook. The wipe will likely erase the last couple of OS updates and then reinstall the most recent.
New Contributor

OK, here is the problem and the solution.  First, if you try to open an Office file from inside File Manager, Documents to Go will lock out that part of the code. So, when I first transferred over my Office files from my PC I checked if they were there in File Manager on the PlayBook.  I clicked on the .xls file and hit the open button.  Nothing happened but that also hosed over the Sheet to Go code.

So, the cure is to do a hard reset and NEVER try to open Office docs from File Manager.  Also, if you don't hit the close button (top left) when you are working with files in DTG, you will end up with the same problem.  No need for a security wipe, just a hard reset.  Maybe BlackBerry will fix this some day since DataViz says BB owns the code.