Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Plabook 64gb
My Carrier: virgin

Doesn't save wi-fi networks after turning off

I got my  wife a Playbook for Xmas. It connects to our wi-fi no problem, and saves the network, but if the Playbook is turned off, the network is no longer saved, so a manual connection is required. Am I doing something wrong, or is this an issue with the Playbook? (It has  OS 2.1.0.1314 installed)

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Doesn't save wi-fi networks after turning off

The network isn't saved or it just doesn't reconnect automatically? I rarely ever turn off my Playbook.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10, DC, 9810, 9800, 8520, Playbook
My Carrier: O2

Manual connection as in, wifi on, available networks, click network, network key and connect?

Or do you mean acquiring ip issue where you have to save and connect each time
Tis Jaysus!
New Contributor
My Device: Plabook 64gb
My Carrier: virgin

It saves the network, (I have checked this when it is connected) but after it is turned off, if I  go to the 'saved networks' box, none are saved. The network shows up as available, so I have to click on 'connect manually' and enter the password. It works OK if the Playbook has been in Standby, but not if turned off altogether. Hope this is more clear, thanks.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

I've never heard of this happening. Try rebooting the Playbook. You can tap the battery icon and hit "restart."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10, DC, 9810, 9800, 8520, Playbook
My Carrier: O2

Yeah same, never heard of it...

What os you on?
Latest is .1314 I believe
Tis Jaysus!
Solutions: 6,352
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

jaysus858 wrote:

What os you on?
Latest is .1314 I believe

Let's see...

bobsimmo wrote:

(It has  OS 2.1.0.1314 installed)

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB, OS 2.1.0.1314, with leather case-stand, fast dock charger, dual purpose car/home ReTrak charger... and more!
My Carrier: not cellular, just wi-fi - all I ever need!

[ Edited ]

Hi BOBSIMMO,

There is another place you need to check in SETTINGS on your PlayBook, besides the "Wi-Fi" tab (which is 3rd down from the top of the list which you see when you TAP the little wheelie icon in the top right corner of your screen after swiping down from the frame). This other place in SETTINGS is called "STORAGE & SHARING" (14th item down from the top of the list just mentioned).

Now, try this --- and let me know what you find, okay? (Don't post your confidential network  name etc. but just tell me if the 3 boxes, as follows, have some text entered into them):

After getting into your network ---- and after "saving" your network --- and after seeing it is "saved", as you said you can do, try this:

Step 1: Press the little wheelie-type icon in the top-most right corner of your screen (after swiping down from the TOP FRAME)

Step 2: Now you see a list of at least 20 SETTINGS. Select the 14th item on the list called "STORAGE & SHARING"

Step 3: Now you see "NETWORK IDENTIFICATION" as the 2nd item down from the top of this screen

Step 4: In that screen, under NETWORK IDENTIFICATION, TAP the tab called "PROPERTIES" that you now see

Step 5: Confirm that all three boxes are filled in --- before you shut off the PlayBook. Tell me if they are not filled in.

---------- The 3 boxes you are looking at now are called:

1. TABLET NETWORK NAME (this is the name assigned to the saved network by the PlayBook itself)

2. WORKGROUP (this field is taken from your Windows OS if you have more than one computer on your network. If you do not have more than one computer on your network, you would not have assigned a workgroup name to any computer on your network and the name would have been defaulted by the Windows Operating System to "WORKGROUP" or even, if you are using a Windows OS version issued after xp, "HOMEGROUP". To confirm the name of your workgroup in Windows, on your pc go to COMPUTER / SYSTEM PROPERTIES).

3. USERNAME (this field will contain the name you gave to your Playbook when it wants to identify itself to your network when it is entering your LAN, Local Area Network, on the Windows system which you set up on your PC).

As I said, don't mention here publicly what is in the 3 boxes, in order to protect your security and privacy. However, just tell me if there is something written in each of the 3 boxes. Then we will take it from there, okay?

Super Contributor
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

wonder1-47100 wrote:

....However, just tell me if there is something written in each of the 3 boxes. Then we will take it from there, okay?

It is not possible to save these three boxes with blank contents, though you can type in whatever you want. It will affect file sharing with PC and Mac if for example the workgroup name is not shared by all devices but in my opinion and experience it will have no effect on saving the wifi connection itself. That is more dependant on the router settings at the time of last connection.  

Best plan is to delete any saved connections (in this case there are none), and then  check the router settings are compliant to modern standards, e.g. WPA2 AES and then connect again.  

Like others I have never experienced this particular problem. reloading the OS by debrick or security wipe, or waiting for the next update may help if router settings don't.

EDIT: by the way standard values for these 3 boxes is

• PLAYBOOK-XXXX         where XXXX is last 4 digits of the PIN
  • WORKGROUP
  • playbook
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Sounds to me that your preferred network is "hidden". When setting up your router, there is a check box that gives you the option to hide your network or leave it visible. This may be your problem.