Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: playbook 64g
My Carrier: orange

Downloading software from internet onto Playbook

I have tried downloading several pieces of software on my new play from the worldwide web - i.e. not from the list of apps that come with the playbook, but additional stuff.

It asks for a name to save the software as, and then states immediately that download is complete, - however, no icon for the software appears on the playbook screen.

I have noticed though that the name I gave the file then appears in the shared directory I set up on my laptop (for wireless file sharing with my playbook), under the 'downloads' folder. But when I click on the file, it only starts to install it on my laptop, when what I am trying to achieve is installation on playbook.

Can anyone provide advice on how to do this.

Thanks for any tips.

Damian 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Downloading software from internet onto Playbook

There are only two kinds of software you can install on Playbook.

1. The apps in App World

or

2. Android apps converted to .bar files which are Sideloaded using a sideloading tool.   Search online or in the forums for the various methods to Sideload

eg http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Downloading-Apps-from-other-sites-help-pl...

Downloading apps to playbook will be of no use.

My Device: Curve 3G
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

You cannot install software that is not available in the app world. The playbook cannot execute .exe files or .msi files so you cannot install the same software that you would on a pc or laptop on your playbook. They use 2 totally different operating systems and architectures so it cannot work. It can watch videos, look at pictures, play music, and read pdfs. Essentially, you will have to find an app in the appworld that is similar to the program that you are trying to install.

Hope this helps!! 

Edit: While you can sideload android apps they are not garunteed to work properly and is done so at your own risk.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

MrBlak wrote:

Edit: While you can sideload android apps they are not garunteed to work properly and is done so at your own risk.

Go to http://goodereader.com  -  they seem to be quite responsible and give warnings with each app. 

My Device: Playbook 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, Z10
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Damian,

Go here http://goo.gl/udevG watch the first video of this link from Goodereader. It shows you how to download additional Android apps (not available to Appworld) onto your PlayBook. 

Afterward you can browse all the Playbook Android apps in Goodereader. 

If you want a recommendation of a good navigation app and VOIP app, my suggestion is Osmand and ComWave ePhone. Another forum member Godot suggests Navigator is a good Navigation app as well,  though I have no hands on experience on that one. 

Hope this helps. 

New Contributor

Thanks jarviser. Will look into your Android tip. Damian
New Contributor

Thanks For your advice beavertail. Will look at goodereader. Damian
New Contributor

Thanks mrblak. It's helpful to know what exactly playbook can and cannot do.