Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Email - Repeated Password Prompt - sbcglobal.net

Anyone having problems, or success, with sbcglobal.net email account connections on PB?  I am having  two problems: 1 - Repeated password prompts after initially setting up the account, connecting, and retrieving email; 2 - After entering the password when prompted repeatedly, the settings for "Initial Retrieval Amount" are ignored and the app attempts to pull the entire inbox.

I read a post on a similar problem with a gmail account...any solutions for sbcglobal.net?

Thanks much!  Really like the PB, especially the size, resolution, and overall usability.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Email - Repeated Password Prompt - sbcglobal.net

Replying to my own post:

This has been resolved...possibly due to the latest OS version 2.0.0.7971???

The steps taken:
- In Accounts, Add Account
- Select  account type "Email, Calendar and Contacts"
- Enter email address and password
- Select "Continue"

Account is automatically set up and works without repeated password prompts!

Note that the incoming server address is imap.mail.yahoo.com, port 993, SSL on.

Outgoing server address is smtp.mail.yahoo.com, port 465, SSL on.

These are not the recommended server addresses by AT&T for sbcglobal.net but these work!

Contributor
My Device: blackberry passport
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

This is a problem for me running OS 2.1.0.1526;  My problem is similar, but with a different ISP, Telus.  I couldn't setup this email account, my second on this PlayBook, by simply inputting my email address and password, I had to use the 'advanced' method with help from Telus.  This accounts can receive and send emails, no problem.  However, it keeps asking me for my email password, every time I login to mail, and perhaps several times.  I have tried deleting the account and starting over, to no avail!  Any suggestions?  Thanks Vic

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

General advice, never use the email provided by your phone or broadband company. they tie you in, and very often have proprietary protocols. Use hotmail as first choice. 

Thanks, but no thanks!  I appreciate your advice, however I have many contacts who use this email address and am loathe to change to another service provider, I already have at least 3 other email providers.  Also, and this is a big consideration, I have this, Telus, email address on several other devices including my BlackBerry Z10, where this need to repeatedly enter the password!  Thank you for your reply and interest,  Vic

Contributor

I promised a further reply to the last item of support.  Here is a solution that worked for me, it came through consultation with Telus, my ISP and wireless provider.  The same issue was brought to their attention earlier and after some good work came up with this solution, it is in the form of a YouTube video and it worked for me.  Hopefully it will work for others trying to setup 'imap' email accounts on their PlayBooks.  This is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlk89Vh9qI4  Vic

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Thanks for that. People will be interested. Mark your post as solution.

I watched the video - Like I say, wierd proprietery settings. 

Hold the Press!  I may have spoken too soon.  It looked fine at first, but, when opening my playbook later, I was greeted with the disappointing, usual request for my Telus email address.  I have advised the Telus support team of this failure and asked for further support.  Sorry fo getting all our hopes up!  Vic

Contributor

Subsequently, I have spoken with Telus support, they are having a conference call tomorrow. Nation-wide, and my support has promised to bring this question forward. Hopefully, I will be able to add some workable solution tomorrow. Vic
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi only (well, I do have a cheap Nokia with 7/11 SpeakOut)

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the updates.  Hopefully, Telus will come up with a workable solution.

PlayBook 64GB and 32 GB