Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: BellAliant

Entering contact info on Desktop?

Hi: Everyone seems to want to sync their contact lists and are dismayed to find they have to use Gmail or some such cumbersome method.

What I want to do is find a programme to create a contact list on my desktop then transfer it to the PB. I don't really want all of my email addresses to go in. Is there any way to do this?

I still use an ancient Palm Pilot with a serial connector for my contact lists! It has a Palm Desktop program which allows me to maintain my lists and calendar then sync it with the Pilot. It is about 20 years old and works well! It is much easier to type on a real keyboard than trying to do it on the Palm. It would be equally useful for the PB.The Blackberry Desktop is a limited and not a very useful programme.

Anything out there?

Thanks.

Donald

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Entering contact info on Desktop?

There is no such in-built program to enter data on a computer and get the info visible in the PlayBook. The only option you have sync info from email IDs. However, you can look for 3rd party apps in the app world.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Solutions: 6,378
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You can easily use Outlook or Outlook Express to enter your data on your PC desktop and sync back to your device using the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

True, BlackBerry doesn't have it's on proprietary desktop application when there are SO many other alternatives, there's no need to go re-invent the wheel.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor

Thank you. I don't actually use Outlook, neither do I use gmail! But "when there are SO many other alternatives." It's the SO many other possible ways to do it that I'm interested in.

The PB Contacts app gives few choices and then only if it connects wirelessly. It doesn't appear to notice if I connect to my Desktop via USB.

The bottom line appears to be that we await developments from RIM and hope they arrive before they fold.

I think we need to develop the Pollyanna approach to computing to deal with this!

Thanks.

Donald

You lost me. Sorry.

What DO you use on your PC or desktop to keep your contacts?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

Hi: I'm afraid I'm an anything but Microsoft whenever possible person,  so it is Thunderbird and Firefox. My contact list is on the Palm Pilot. Additionally it would be useful to import my Bookmarks onto the PB but I'm taking this in easy stages!

I just keep thinking that there must be some way of creating a file in some format that the PB will understand. It is very strange that the Blackberry Desktop doesn't provide a way to maintain a contacts and calendar list. I would have thought that this would be essential for business persons who are the main target for RIM. It is far easier to do all of this on a desktop than it is on the any tablet. As I said, perhaps RIM will get around to it. Also as I said, the Palm Pilot did is efficiently 20 years ago so it cannot be difficult to do!

Thanks.

Donald

Donald, most business people do you Outlook for some other desktop PIM application.

Most do not keep vital contacts only on a PalmPilot in 20 year old outdated software.

Mine sync seamlessly with Outlook. I would never allow my contacts to be found only on my PalmPilot and on their proprietary software. In Outlook, I can manipulate, use and extract what ever I want.

Again, I see no reason for RIM to reinvent the wheel for a desktop application for your contacts, I already use the best there is. Regardless of what you think of MS, they did Outlook right.

Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

Hi: Good Lord, I don't expect RIM to support Palm Pilot, it was dead years ago. But it works flawlessly for me. I will, perhaps, give Outlook a try.

I disagree with you regarding RIM reinventing the wheel. One of the mistakes RIM made was to assume that all customers would be business types - a narrow view of reality which may explain . . . . .

I'm wanting to use the PB for lightweight travel and not for business.

Now I just have to find out how to store Bookmarks on the PB. It'll probably require the use of Internet Explorer. But enough of this fun, I will try Outlook, whatever that is.

Thanks.

Donald

[ Edited ]

Longcove wrote:

Now I just have to find out how to store Bookmarks on the PB. It'll probably require the use of Internet Explorer.

Store your bookmarks in the Playbook browser, while you are are ON the website you want bookmarked, by touching the white star with the green + sign adjacent to it, in the top right corner of the browser. There is no Microsoft Internet Explorer on the PlayBook (since you don't like MS products, I thought you'd like to know that Smiley Wink )

Good luck!

Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

Thank you, useful information on bookmarks. We bought a PB each to use as we travel  without checked bags. It is a steep learning curve as we transition from the world of mice and right clicks. I should point out that we really like the PB and in the fullness of time it will meet all our needs. There are just some weird things about it that are hard to understand.

I thinkwe can close this one down now!

Thanks.

Donald