Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

FIX IT! Priorities for RIMM - let's trim down the overwhelming confusion to top priorities here

[ Edited ]

Hey guys and gals - obviously RIMM has it's hands full, how about guiding them to the most important stuff and stop nit-picking and dissing for now. It's getting overwhelming and confusing.Let's help here instead of dissing them - they have a reputation they are struggling to compete for and this is the most awesome platform I have imagined. OBVIOUSLY it was released half baked but to me that's great, it is IN MY HANDS and we can all help develop this thing. Let's focus on priority areas that make it NON-functional and keep the list to a minimum. Remember, everyone was tired of waiting and had to have it NOW so you got what you asked for stop whining. TO me it should be called a WorkBook and let the toy seekers go Ipad. RIMM focus on what you built your rep on and do best - BUSINESS and stop trying to get a piece of the consumer pie that everyone else is feasting on.

Here are my 2 biggies -
1) RELIABLE NON BUGGY WEB BROWSING most annoying is the browser mode where the "back" button wont work, it only responds to SOME link touches but not others, and the refresh button does NOT refresh, along with other browser anomalies that are annoying, various freezes crashes etc, because after all isn't browsing the bare minimum functionality of this thing? Having to close the browser and start all over because of a freeze or a crash is about the highest impediment to productivity I can think of.

2)The bridge files app that show nothing but directories, shows no files, FREEZES if you try to drill into one. BIG DEAL because we want the stuff that's already on our phones!
I will stop there although I have a huge laundry list like everyone else - do this stuff FIRST! (please)
RIMM can't be everywhere at once let's help them focus, after all we all want this thing to become what we expected ASAP and it certainly has that potential! The more overwhelmed they are the less they can get done in a short period of time. The more RIMM goes down the tubes, the more we all suffer so please encourage and hlep those who are discouraged and ready to return the thing. THe bigger the communit y, and the more successful RIMM is the more we ALL benefit.
Have I got your attention RIMM?  Perhaps you can just look at this one thread and put the rest on the back burner.
Now, can everyone contribute just your top two or three items that make you feel you are not getting the functionality you expected? Things that make you wonder if you should have even bought this thing? Lets get those fixed ASAP.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8530 curve
My Carrier: cellular south

Re: FIX IT! Priorities for RIMM - let's trim down the overwhelming confusion to top priorities here

Blackjack, I agree, just make the PB do everything that my Bold OS6 will do. I can view, open, browse, files on my Bold and PB will not do it. i.e. open TXT file attachment, open html attachments, need updated java support.
Contributor
My Device: Torch and Playbook

Re: FIX IT! Priorities for RIMM - let's trim down the overwhelming confusion to top priorities here

support for stereo bluetooth audio

on screen phone controls to make, receive and control (ie mute/hold) calls from bridged phone

cursor control and full fledged spell check

add custom tabs and custom folders to home screen for needed app grouping/organization

complete interconnectivity between email, contacts and calendar such as lookup or add a new contact from the address in email message

rotate and rename pictures from the picture viewer

Apps:

Blackberry Password Keeper (bridged or standalone with ability to import from phone)

Blackberry Wallet (bridged or ability to import from phone)

Blackberry Travel

All airline, hotel and rental car apps and native turn by turn GPS app (provide complete travel support for mobile professionals)

Remote Desktop Connection, Network directory browsing, full fledged VPN, and native FTP client

Skype, Kindle, Netflix.

Those are mine.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

excellent post!! my number one is a very sore subject!! native email and pim apps followed by BBM...our company would love to field about 200 PBs, but its ridiculos to try it with no email but owa..and no way to communicate... I hope that "this summer" means very soon.... The 3 of us that have PBs to use are sitting here surfing the web and not much more. Our handsets have more functionality for work ... Smiley Sad
Contributor

I am puzzled as to why people care so much about native email when they can just bridge to their Blackberry smartphone to access email from there... of course if you don't have a smartphone it could be a problem, but if not I'm puzzled as to why someone would buy a Playbook, because the duo is a winner. Also isn't BBM more easily used on the smartphone? Not good enough? To me the Blackberry keyboard is the whole reason people like Blackberrys.

Contributor

Thanks Jgoldman, but could you trim it down to two or three top priorities (functions) that are so important they make the Playbook completely useless to you? Your post almost looks like getting back into low level nitpicking again.  I think that as tboyd suggests, lets start with the basics... just make it do what the phone does reliably - OS6 -  then grow from there. In other words if it cant even do that much, we may as well just stick with our phones.

I'd be happy with just a smartphone magnifying glass (in other words - develop Bridge first so it is functional and reliable and useful) for now and then expand.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: BB Playbook/Z10
My Carrier: TELUS

Agree with tboyd (and have mentioned it as well in another thread) - the PB should at least sport the same functionality as a stock OS6 BB phone. Even if it was just channeling it via bridge.

I hope it's not RIM's plan to make us wait until the first QNX BB phone to get parity in functionality with a stock BB phone.
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

blackjack...maybe we have differing views of what we expect from the PB? We were not anticipating it being an extension of our phones, rather a fully functional tablet that has hhe features that we appreciate from Blackberry. We expected it to be an addition to our phones, and help us communicate with our non-BB employees easier. While the bridge feature is fantastic, we are covered very well with Wifi and Sprint Mifi's. There is no need to keep our contacts and notes on the phone, and personally, having BBM on the PB would be nicer. I can type faster and easier with this than the phone. I didn't buy my phone for the keyboard alone, rather the complete set of features it has, but yes, BBM on my Bold is very easy to use given the BB keypad. I really don't think that expecting a BB product to come with the core features that brought us to their product is asking too much..Great discussion !!....Jim
Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8530 curve
My Carrier: cellular south

Well, the new OS update came out today and they did not FIX IT!, still can't open .mpg, can't open .txt attachments, can't open .html attachments. MY BOLD HAD GOT PB BEAT HANDS DOWN!, only thing is I own a PB and can't use the big screen and do what my BOLD with OS6 can do. I GUESS THEY ARE NOT LISTENING TO US!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

jgoldman wrote:

Skype, Kindle, Netflix.

For the Amazon Kindle, you can use the online web browser:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Kindle-Cloud-Reader/m-p/1249433

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: