Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 7" 64g
My Carrier: None

Files becoming inaccessible on Playbook

Hi,

I recently purchased a Playbook, so I'm pretty new to it.

I have been looking for a versatile Office suite : one of the main reasons I wanted a tablet to start with.  Docs to Go doesn't give many options for text and paragraph formatting, plus I have troubles opening and working with my Excel sheets with it (somme cells with formulas become "N/A" and locked for some reason).  Other suites that I bought through AppWorld also lack functions that I need.  So I have been trying alternatives.

So far, OfficeSuite Pro (sideloaded) has proven the most complete solution : giving me options to format paragraphs, insert footnotes, tables and images.  But the following problem occurs : some *docx files that I create or modify with it, once saved on the PB, become inaccessible.

More precisely, I can see them with browsers installed on the PB, but cannot copy or move them.  When I try, I get "File is not accessible", "Permission denied" error messages.  I can still open them with OfficeSuite.

Also, When I look in the folder where I've saved them through WIndows Explorer, over wi-fi or usb connexion, those files simply don't appear. 

Additionally, I've tried to create a docx file on my pc with the same name as one of the inaccessible ones and then transfer it to the folder on the PB, and I get an error message.

And also, I've tried to attach the files to an email as a workaround : gmail also gives me an error message.

In short, nothing can access those files except OfficeSuite, and there's no way to transfer them to my pc.

I'd greatly appreciate suggestions on how to solve this, or even simply finding a workaround.  Again, working with Office files was one of the main reasons I've bought this tablet.  I really hope I can get this to work, because the apps that do work, such as Docs to Go and Smart Office 2, really are too limitted for my needs.

Thanks in advance.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: Files becoming inaccessible on Playbook

Try renaming the files without the 'x' in the file name extension. Also Google Why can't I open Docx files.
New Contributor

Hi, and thanks for the suggestions.

I've actually saved copies as *.doc (Word 2003 format), as that's an option with OfficeSuite, but with the same result as with docx.

And believe me, I've been googling this problem since this morning...  Nothing at all sp far.

Thanks again.

Forums Veteran I

Read the following. Might help you. KB26606
When a BlackBerry® smartphone is connected to a BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet using BlackBerry® Bridge, Bridge Files allows access to the files located on the internal memory of the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, or from the MicroSD card of the BlackBerry smartphone.

The following file types are supported using Bridge Files:

Adobe® Reader® for opening PDF files
Documents to Go® for opening XLS, XLSX, DOC, DOCX or PPT files
Pictures such as BMP, JPG, GIF and PNG
Music Files such as MP3
The following file types are not supported using Bridge Files:

Video Files such as 3GP, MP4, MKV, MPG, MPEG
New Contributor

Thanls, but I don't own a blackbrry phone...  

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I

Do a search on this forum. This problem has been mentioned in the past. I can't say if they have a solution.