Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10 / Passport
My Carrier: O2 UK

Re: Forget About BB10 on Playbook

The lies of Thorstein Heins must be fully exposed. He told lies to promote sales. He has stabbed thousands of loyal customers in the back. The man is a fool and not fit to run a bath let alone a company.  RIP BlackBerry. 

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64GB; Z10
My Carrier: telus

Thorsten Heins video, a better URL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlFbKMUWpdU&feature=youtu.be&t=5m41s

Forked tongue, indeed!

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

BlackBerry has to come out with an official statement on what "support" for the Playbook means. They should never have announced it the way they did and especially at that time, but I guess getting all the bad news out at once is better than dragging it out over months.

They are still listing the Playbook as an active device for sale on their website, but people want to know the following.

1) Will the bridge be fixed

2) Will apps continue to be ported over

3) Will there be updates to the current Playbook OS (New features, not just fixes)

4) Is there a future for Tablets at BlackBerry? Desipte what Heins said, I think the market in the world have shown that Tablets are here right now and will be for a while at least. Games, Movies, Documentationi, reading, internet browsing etc are all experienced better on a larger screen and that screen is 7 inches or more. Phablets SUCK so don't try to fool us with a 5.1 inch screen or something smaller than 7 inches (size counts!).

5) When will BBM be back on the Playbook?

6) How long will the Playbook be supported?

These are all valid questions and should be answered by the end of this week.  I don't care if the OS is not called BB10 however the OS should not be dead as it is only 2 years old and they still have devices on store shelves. I can see these things going for $100 now...wouldn't it be funny if sales actually went up?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

jerryg50 wrote:

When the Q10 first came out, many people purchased a Playbook at the same time as the phone.

do you have a trusted source about that?

I read somewhere that BlackBerry only sold 100k PlayBooks (both with or without SIM) in the last quarter, even at low price.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Guru I

jerryg50 wrote:

The Q10 and Z10 also work well. They do not fully bridge to the Playbook, and they had a few bugs when they first came out.  What is interesting, is many of these bugs should have been spotted during beta testing.

I really think that most of those bugs were known during alpha & beta testing. But at some point, the release of the Z10 cannot be delayed further, and it was released once all the mandatory features were there.

This is why the first OS updates arrived very shortly after January 30th.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Guru I

Jpanighets wrote:

I'm one of the fools who bought a Playbook and now Blackberry won't update the device to BB10, Blackberry I payed for this device and i recieved back only bugs never fixed and now this! I won't buy a Blacberry device again due to the treatment of customers! Tablets won't die, the palybook will because of you and you're mismanagement!

Sorry for my bad english 

I think that on January 30th, the CEO was sincere when he said that the PlayBook would get BlackBerry10.

And I also think that he was sincere on Friday during the call when he said that the teams worked a lot to make it happen, but they failed meeting the minimum quality (or maybe hardware requirements too high for the PlayBook?).

Once that is said, indeed there is a management decision to make: continue working on that project, or not.

Advantages on working on that project:

• PlayBook owners are happy (brings 0 dollar to the company, but increases customer loyalty)
  • possibly sell a bit more devices (100000 PlayBook sold in the last quarter, quite a sub-performance)

Disadvantages on working on that project:

• the resources working aer not allocated to other projects

My opinion is that :

• the Z10 and the Q10 are not selling well
  • the success of the Q5 is not certain
  • the success of Mobile Fusion is not certain (BES side)
  • the link with cars (through QNX) is absolutely not for a near future
  • wanted apps are still not there
  • there a still many missing features, and bugged features, even in the 10.2 OS
  • marketing is a fat joke
  • as well as the so-called efficient partnership with physical carrier shops

and my conclusion :

• I believe it is better to allocate all available resource to those above points

so let's rock'n'roll this!

Go HEINS!

Guru I

Greggore wrote:

BlackBerry has to come out with an official statement on what "support" for the Playbook means. They should never have announced it the way they did and especially at that time, but I guess getting all the bad news out at once is better than dragging it out over months.

They are still listing the Playbook as an active device for sale on their website, but people want to know the following.

1) Will the bridge be fixed

2) Will apps continue to be ported over

3) Will there be updates to the current Playbook OS (New features, not just fixes)

4) Is there a future for Tablets at BlackBerry? Desipte what Heins said, I think the market in the world have shown that Tablets are here right now and will be for a while at least. Games, Movies, Documentationi, reading, internet browsing etc are all experienced better on a larger screen and that screen is 7 inches or more. Phablets SUCK so don't try to fool us with a 5.1 inch screen or something smaller than 7 inches (size counts!).

5) When will BBM be back on the Playbook?

6) How long will the Playbook be supported?

These are all valid questions and should be answered by the end of this week.  I don't care if the OS is not called BB10 however the OS should not be dead as it is only 2 years old and they still have devices on store shelves. I can see these things going for $100 now...wouldn't it be funny if sales actually went up?

if you read the call transcripts, you get answer for questions 3 & 6. There is not planned end of life date for the PlayBook, so my undersatnding is that the PlayBookOS will be updated to include bugfixes & security fixes (for example to upgrade the Flash player or the video player).

Regarding the bridge & BBM, it was never broken for the Z10/Q10. It is simply not there currently, and I do not see why BlackBerry would invest in adding it.

Apps will continue to be ported over, by the devs who want to do that. BlackBerry will of course continue working on encouraging devs to port apps to BlackBerry, but I am certain BlackBerry will do it  far more towards BlackBerry10 than towards the PlayBookOS.

I don't see BBM coming to the PlayBook either, the focus should and must be put on Android and iOS for that matter.

I am sure that PlayBook owners also own a BlackBerry/Android/iOS smartphone anyways.

and lastly regarding the future for tablets at the BlackBerry company, the CEO has made it clear that tablets were out of research & investment for BlackBerry in a near future. It is out of their global roadmap, and I am quite sure that they will do something else, differently from all others.

My guess is that they will invest in some kind of even-more-universal DLNA, so you'll be able to use your BlackBerry10 device, with plenty of big screens that people have already (cars & living room & office).

New Contributor

Thnx Xan

It would really suck if my iPad got BBM before my Playbook did. Really that would be asinine! 

also Thnx on the notes for 3 and 6. I suspected as much, but the whole moral for Playbook is dead and I doubt any developer would even waste 10 minutes on trying to port an app over to the PB let alone look at a bug.

I know compared to iPad's and Android tablets, the Playbook is a much smaller client base, but selling 100,000 in 3 months is still 100,000. Overall it is more successful that Dell, HP, Creative labs, Facebook, Windows RT and a slew of other tablets that came out and disappeared or are just hanging in. There are over 2.5 million playbooks out there, that is nothing to sneeze at. I'd like to see the game plan and at least see a Playbook II on the horizon and I don't see why they wouldn't go there. I don't want to use an HDMI cable every time I want to use my BB10 (Z10) for games, movies and documentation...that is a ridiculous work around. I want to see a tablet that is 7 inches or more. 

BB should make the whole-she-bang to replace our desktops! All of business should be on BB10 from the phone to the desktop to the servers. 

Guru I

Greggore wrote:

Thnx Xan

It would really suck if my iPad got BBM before my Playbook did. Really that would be asinine! 

my opinion is that this is what I would want if I were the BlackBerry CEO. The PlayBook is the past since January 30th. Think how many people have iOS/Android, compared to how many people have a PlayBook and no BlackBerry phone!

Greggore wrote:

also Thnx on the notes for 3 and 6. I suspected as much, but the whole moral for Playbook is dead and I doubt any developer would even waste 10 minutes on trying to port an app over to the PB let alone look at a bug.

I have a completely different opinion. A layman user does not care about OS upgrades (even less about whether it is a PlayBookOS or a BB10 one), and developers focus on layman user (especially game developers).

Recently, several blockbusters were released for the PlayBook (Dark Knight ModerCombat4, League of heroes, Flycraft, Jump Birdy Jump and so on), I think most of them did not cost much to port (porting is difficult when you are using advanced features on the smartphone, which is not the case for games).

Greggore wrote:

I'd like to see the game plan and at least see a Playbook II on the horizon and I don't see why they wouldn't go there. I don't want to use an HDMI cable every time I want to use my BB10 (Z10) for games, movies and documentation...that is a ridiculous work around. I want to see a tablet that is 7 inches or more. 

BB should make the whole-she-bang to replace our desktops! All of business should be on BB10 from the phone to the desktop to the servers. 

Again, my opinion on this is that BlackBerry is thinking of your needs (having stuff on a bigger screen than a Z10 or a phablet), but that future will be without tablets and with something else. Every single interview from the CEO bleeds with that idea, and even though the facts proved he lied on January 30th about BB10 on the PlayBook, it is not a reason to disregard all he says in interviews Smiley Happy

BlackBerry is currently trying to differentiate from Apple/Microsoft/Google:

• BlackBerry does not have a unified OS for phones & tablets (boo)
  • BlackBerry produces both hardware and software
  • BlackBerry is not an American company
  • BlackBerry does not host emails & calendars
  • BlackBerry provides a corporate Mobile Device Management system for both Apple & Google OS phones
  • BlackBerry can run apps ported from Android
  • BlackBerry has both feet already in the car OS industry (with QNX)
  • BlackBerry believes the near future does not include tablets, but something else

so of course, competition is about being the best, but it is also about being the only one to deliver one thing (for example BBM, or a Retina display, or a Qi touchless charger, an integrated LCD projector... or something that may make the tablets seem primitive).

I look forward to discovering what BlackBerry will do to replace tablets.

And I hope it's not a Daft Punk helmet with Jarvis like in Iron Man.

New Contributor

thnx again for keeping us in the loop.

wrt "And I hope it's not a Daft Punk helmet with Jarvis like in Iron Man." Ya, I will no tbe an adopter of Google glass or Apple hats....that would just be way way way tooo geeky. Literally, it would be an end to a generation of Apple and google fans as none of them would ever get a date again.