Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650, Playbook
My Carrier: Cellcom

Forgot File Sharing Password

Okay, little embarrassed about this one.  I went to shut the file sharing password off because I could not remember it, and in order to turn this functionality off, you must know the password.  Does anyone know if there is a way to recover the password or reset it?

Solutions: 6,396
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Forgot File Sharing Password

On your device?

Where is this "file sharing password" located?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

In Settings, then Storage & Security, then if you go towards the bottom there is a "Password Protect".  If you turn it on it requires a password.

Maybe your device is still on OS5, my 9650 is on OS6 and the settings are different, but IF that is the main Security > Password, there is no reset or reminder. The password is what you set it to be.

Often users who have multiple numerals in their password will only press the ALT key for the first numeral and not those following, so for instance, if your password were "1234", you might have been pressing "Alt 1234" on the device, which makes the actual password to be "1ers".

Does that make sense? Does it sound familar to your usage?

So check the way you enter your password on the device... do you think you are entering multiple numbers but actually are not?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I'm actually talking about this setting on my playbook.  Sorry for the confusion.

lol, foolish me, I see that now, you've posted in the Playbook section, I just looked directly and saw you had a 9650.

But yea, same applies about the password. There's no reset or reminder. You just have to get it right, same as on the handheld devices.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: 2Degrees

Useless.  I forgot the password.  I have the PB in my posession.  I know my PB password.  I should be able to reset the file sharing password that I've forgotten with my PB / BB password and not have to remember the specifiec PB password I've set.  Yes, the universal rule is that you should have a PWD that is unguessable, secure, and rememberable (?) but it should also be recoverable.  BB seems to have forgotten one of the rules of passwords.

PS - I figured mine out.

Yes but P.S. That in itself is one of the main features of BlackBerry password security, there is absolutely no reset, no room for allowing a third party access to a reset message. The user either knows the password or doesn't. That's about as secure as you can get.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: 2Degrees

I forgot mine again. Sigh....
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

If you forget the file sharing password, but you have access to a Windows box which has remembered the credentials, there are free tools you can download that will extract the password and show it to you. I had to do this to recover my PB file share password once. Just be careful that what you download for this doesn't have malware attached...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!