Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Frustration upon frustration after OS update - giving up

I'm afraid I have to give up. I've been at this for days now. Researching discussion groups, knowledge databases, downloading and reinstalling, backing up and reinstalling again, chasing for the elusive bit of information that might show what I'm doing wrong, if anything, what I might have missed, whether my laptop (Vista) is the culprit, etc. I've tried everything, from tweaking my user and file sharing settings on this device and PC,  to changing cables. The problem? After I installed the OS update here in Canada, certain functionalities went away. Email disappeared for a while (but did come back inexplicably) But the worse is, when connected, the Blackberry Device Manager shows thie unit as connencted and indeed reads the IP address of the Playbook, but the desktop software is stuck in a continuous "connecting" loop. Nothng happens. It can't sync media or any files. I can't see the unit as a seperate drive or folders on the PC for file transfer, even though the screen on the unit itself says it is connected and file transfer is enabled. Nor can it charge from the the PC. It's just driving my fricken nuts! All this to say I have indeed given up. I am resigned to the fact I can only use this Playbook as a browsing / downloading device. All my media will have to be dowloaded, not transfered from my PC.

It should not be like this folks. Who has time for this? The amount of valuable time I have spent to date, trying to fix a post-OS installation mess is worth more, in dollars, than the cost of buying a new and more device with a well-designed less buggy OS. This discussion forum is filled with post-OS upgrade installation problems from typical users. Why do we put up with this? I love and like to support RIM. But there are limits to our patience. I've reached mine.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

Re: Frustration upon frustration after OS update - giving up

[ Edited ]

Wow - I can see why youère so frustrated. I admit itès why I wondered if I should stay out of the early adopter group on the update.

P'**bleep** question - When you did the update, did you do it from the desktop manager or did you do it on the playbook standalone with wifi?

I ask because I always do my iphone updates through the computer. And I wonder if - now that I did install the desktop manager and do a backup - should I always update from the desktop software from now on?

===========

hahahaha - ok. Apparently there are some abbreviations that donèt work here. P(bleep) question was actually just petit question. Nothing rude there. Promise. ;-)

New Contributor

I installed the update from my wifi connection when I got a notice. Later, when it was obvious that I was having serious issues, I re-installed it from my desktop, but at this point, the desktop software was virtually useless. So now I have a new OS, with all the content wiped out, with no way to reinstall the backup files. The unit won't connect to the PC and it can't transfer files and can't power from the PC either. Not sure what I will use this device for now. A mobile browser at best. WARNING FOLKS- do not risk it. DO NOT UPDATE THE OS. It is not worth the risk, believe me. This platform is way too fragile. 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

I would suggest the problem may be with Vista. If you have not updated Vista to all its latest files, this may be the problem.I have XP Pro on my computer with all the latest updates and have no problems with my computer or PlayBook.
Regular Contributor
My Device: BB ZED 10
My Carrier: Fido

I agree, Vista can be a bear at times. You might try repairing/reinstalling desktop manager and then reaquaint the playbook with your desktop manager. FIRST make sure your Vista is up to date as lost at sea suggested. I am sorry so many people are having issues. I, touch wood, have not had any real issues that weren't solved by restarting the playbook after making changes. Good luck to you

Smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: Playbook 64Gb

I updated the OS from 2.0 to 2.1 on my Playbook through Wi-Fi and thought I should proceed to back up once completed. Desktop Manager did not recognize the playbook and suggested I reinstall the OS 2.1 in order to get the Playbook to synchronize. BIG mistake! I lost everything on my Playbook, including all the apps I paid for, and it still wont synchronize.to date. I have no clue how I will get my paid apps back as I also updated my OS to Windows 8 (it was synchronizing after updating to Windows 8) and di not backup before installing OS 2.1 My bad! At leat with Apple, if your device gets wiped, you could go to the iTunes store and  re-download all of your paid apps, movies, music, etc. I went to the Blackberry site, but could not find a similar set up. Even if I did though, I still cannot synchronize or backup my Playbook. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regular Contributor
My Device: BB ZED 10
My Carrier: Fido

I feel your pain. You can get your paid apps back in app world by going to "my world" and where it shows you installed there is also and uninstalled and all your apps will be there. If you cannot get anything to work on your playbook, then I would suggest a "debrick"  method that takes you back to factory and then updates from there. you will have to do a search for the exact details of debricking, it is basically, opening DM and plugging a turned off playbook into your computer and then an option pops up in Desktop manager to update or ...... ?? can't remember the other. Then you just follow the prompts and let it do its stuff. 

here are the directions I got off of crackberry.com:

Before beginning, I should note that this process will completely wipe all of the data from your PlayBook. If you're planning on downgrading the OS or rooting your PlayBook, you should first create a backup of your tablet's contents. Personally, I skip this step because none of the data on my device is irreplaceable. If your situation is otherwise, make sure you make a backup copy. Of course, if your PlayBook is bricked, I hope you already made backups, because there's no way to recover that data at this point. Sorry.

To reset your PlayBook, you'll need the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Software, a micro USB cable, a computer, and - of course - your PlayBook. Start Desktop Software on your computer and turn off your PlayBook. Yes, turn it off. Use the USB cable to connect your PlayBook to the computer and wait. After a moment, you should get an error message saying Desktop Software cannot connect to your PlayBook.

Click the "Update" button that's in the middle of the other two buttons, follow the on-screen instructions, and wait. Desktop Software will take care of downloading the OS and installing it to your PlayBook. The process could take up to an hour; make sure you keep your PlayBook connected until told it is safe to disconnect. Once finished, you'll be required to choose languages, set the time, sign in with your BlackBerry ID, and make final updates to the operating system - just like you did when you first received your tablet. After you're done, you'll once again have a working BlackBerry PlayBook.

hope that helps. cheers

Smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to. Smiley Happy
Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

All your paid Apps will be available to you free after you get the problem straighten out. Check on this site. Knottyrope has a procedure for installing the latest DM but I would first go to the Microsoft Upgrade site and get Vista fully updated.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Your BBID will allow you to get your apps back. use the email address and password you set up your playbook with before.

The OS update that wiped your device when you connected is a pain to deal with. I did it myself once and had to reload everything again.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Elephant in the Room - shoddy OS update programming Re: Frustration upon frustration after OS update - giving up

It's not about being able to get the apps back. The issue no one is addressing is the fact that so many of us are having this problem. Vista is not Windows 2.1 for heaven's sake. The elephant in the room is in fact a poor product and slip-shod programming that is far, far from bug free. This is RIM. I am so disappointed in the company right now.  Why are we all putting up with this???? RIM monitors these groups yet remains silent. No feedback or offer to engage or support.