Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 16Gb
My Carrier: None

GMail GUI problems

[ Edited ]

Doing a search here for problems with GMail brings up a litany of different ones than I see.

I have to use GMail's PC Desktop page layout because the mobile one is just too limited. With the wide-screen format, I find that to be true for many / most sites, but a lot of sites default to the mobile layout with this tablet.

Scrolling through the message list will open a message rather than move the list, probably because of some sort of sensitivity issue I can't control.

Lots of times, the finger's hotspot on the page is far away than the gadget that I want to touch, so, for example, pressing "send" means I have to hunt for the hotspot above the actual button, or trying to select one e-mail address from the suggested list usually means I have to zoom in, align the page display just right, then try to select the one I want. If I am lucky, it works.

Trying to edit a message means I can't see where the cursor is because the screen keyboard is sitting on top of the cursor in the edit frame. Trying to scroll the message in the edit window, so that I can actually see what I am typing is a royal PITA, so much so that I went and bought a Bluetooth keyboard just to be able to shift the screen and move the cursor, etc. However, I don't see a way that I can even paste text or a copied URL into a message using the keyboard. Sigh...

Trying to select text is hit and miss and, a lot of times, the actual edit command that I need isn't offered.

Trying to place the cursor where I need is also very tiring.

I have to be diligent about finding the word errors that the auto-suggestions end up substituting, too, so that adds to the editing a message time.

I've tried other browsers, such as Maxthon Mobile and Dolphin, but they have their own problems and, with all of its many faults, the default browser still seems to be the best of the worst, at least regarding GMail. RIM nailed a few GUI things, such as being able to figure out which small link I wanted to touch with my fingertip, so why can't they get these basic things right, too?

Are any of these issues being addressed for the default browser?