Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: BB Playbook - OS: 2.0.1.668
My Carrier: None Yet

~HELP! I need my playbook online outside my home Wi-Fi

I'm not sure what to buy or if I would even know if it's the right one for a Mobile Hotspot??? I'm trying to get my Playbook on a mobile wi-fi network but I'm not sure what I need to do or which one? If I buy a prepaid mobile hotspot from walmart for example, what do I need to do? 

I had a friend tell me that if you purchase a Verizon or Virgin prepaid cell phone that has internet access that you can tether it to the cell phone and use it's cell signal to get online, is that true? Someone please tell me what I need to buy in order to make my playbook connect to either a mobile wi-fi hotspot like a Sprint Overdrive 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot or a Prepaid cell phone so I can use my GPS and map apps.

Will this get me online as I'm driving down the road?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-4G-Case-By-Sprint-For-Tablet-E-Reader-iPad-Overdrive-3G-4G-Mobile-Hotspo...

Please any input will be greatly appreciated.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: ~HELP! I need my playbook online outside my home Wi-Fi

[ Edited ]

That ebay item will not get you online unless you also buy the portable wifi to go with it.  It's an empty case.

Any cafe or bar thst offers free wifi will get you online. Usually have to ask for a password or may need a registration process.  If your phone provider offers free wifi you need to find a premises that transmits it.

I have a mifi inthe UK provided by 3mobile but whether it gets me online depends on whether there's a mast nearby.  A combination of the mifi and free hotspots usually grts me online.

In all cases open wifi in settings and see if playbook can detect the open hotspot you need.

My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

If you an OS7.1 Blackberry device, you can use the Bridge feature or Mobile Hotspot from the handheld BlackBerry to connect... or as stated above, any nearby Wifi hotspot.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: BB Playbook - OS: 2.0.1.668
My Carrier: None Yet

I know the case was just an empty case but the mobile hotspot it holds is the same one they have at the store near my house for $129 then $60 a month for 5Gb.. I work as a soil analyst in Oklahoma and Texas and I have to go out to rigs that aren't always on a map and I need the GPS for Lat. & Lon 

lets see if this makes more sense . . . 

Are these Mobile hot spots connected and my playbook will find it just like a land based Wi-Fi signal?

Here are 3 that I'm considering so can you tell me if these will work???

1- http://www.walmart.com/ip/TruConnect-Internet-on-the-Go-Mobile-Hotspot/20665535

2- http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-4G-Mobile-MiFi-Hotspot/20976915

3- http://www.walmart.com/ip/Virgin-Sierra-Wireless-Overdrive-Pro-3G-4G-Mobile-Hotspot/21082068

Forums Veteran I

[ Edited ]

Any mobile device providing 802.11-G will connect to Playbook. What you need to find out is which of those suppliers, T-Mobile, Virgin-Sierra etc have a 3G or 3G+ mast within a mile or so of the rigs. Maybe on campus?  Over here we have coverage maps provided by the phone companies, surely they must do that in the US?

I suspect if the rigs are not on a map there's not much hope.    Satellite???

seven7hsi9n wrote:

I know the case was just an empty case

I have no idea what you're speaking of there.

seven7hsi9n wrote:

Here are 3 that I'm considering so can you tell me if these will work???

1- http://www.walmart.com/ip/TruConnect-Internet-on-the-Go-Mobile-Hotspot/20665535

2- http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-4G-Mobile-MiFi-Hotspot/20976915

3- http://www.walmart.com/ip/Virgin-Sierra-Wireless-Overdrive-Pro-3G-4G-Mobile-Hotspot/21082068

Yes, those will work. You connect to one just like you would your home-based WiFi.

THE QUESTION you need to know the answer to is this... will one of those mobile hotspots pick up a cellular signal in those rural areas in TX and OK you visit?

The Tmobile hotspot will use the Tmobile signal. Does a Tmobile phone get service where you're going? 4G service or just EDGE (a much lower data rate)?

Verizon also sells a good MiFi unit, but again, you MUST know if there is any mobile signal there for the MiFi device to receive.

Make sense?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64, Z-10, Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I've used the T-Mobile 4g WiFi hotspot device for almost a year, works really good. I'm in a urban area so I get 4G almost all over but it will switch to 3G in a low signal area. The battery life is great. I like the form factor, just leave it in my pocket or briefcase when I use my PB. There are all sorts of plans for it, I have it added to my other accounts and I think unlimited data is like $15 a month or so. If your phone has the ability to serve as hotspot that will also work but check your data plan to make sure you don't get zapped.

Solutions: 6,397

That's good... I am familiar with Tmobile also, and they still lack service in many non-urban, rural areas.

So, I would caution again that first test service using a friend's Tmobile handheld phone. If there's no service for the phone, the MiFi will do nothing for you.

Knowledge Base Updates
Forums Veteran I

[ Edited ]

You just beat me to it!  I would also stress the phone must show and use 3G or H signal, not just voice. . Internet on 2G is no fun. I of course speak as a member of the third world of comms (great britain)

jarviser wrote:

You just beat me to it!  I would also stress the phone must show and use 3G or H signal, not just voice. . Internet on 2G is no fun. I of course speak as a member of the third world of comms (great britain)

I was in GB week before last... my signal kept bouncing from 3G > GPRS > GSM > EDGE > 3G, etc., and rarely held steady on one signal for more than an hour.

Knowledge Base Updates