Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9900
My Carrier: orange

Has the Blackberry Playbook now come to an end!

Can anyone advise if the Playbook has now come to an end of its life? I have read a recent write up whereby Thorsten Heins of BB allegedly identified that tablets have now had their day and mobile phones were now the way forward! Strange really when other companies are bringing new ones out and Apple are soon to release a new software update to their Ipads. Our local PC World/Curry's now longer stock them and are selling accessories at a very much reduced price. A visit to my local Carphone Warehouse showed they likewise no longer stock them, the salesman advised me of this and had no idea where I could buy one. (I already have one as does my wife.) He basically said they were no longer in demand and that he had heard that the current software was not going to be updated.

This all spells out to me that the life of the BB Playbook is over. Very disappointing for myself as an enthusiastic BB user of both the mobiles and playbooks. 

Unless someone knows to the contrary?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Has the Blackberry Playbook now come to an end!

Carphone warehouse are being disingenuous to say there is no demand. They distributed the fire-sale playbooks while they were available, now they can't get hold of any. Ditto currys/pcworld uk. Neither can tbey claim anything about the upgrading because nobody knows. 

If you have a healthy playbook, it's good for another year or two, until either the battery cycles out, or the os support dries up and the browser and email is no longer working to standard. 

Bb says no more tablets, so it's either A10 or a proper tablet from another maker.

This all in my opinion, which we are all entitled to make.

My Device: Blackberry 9900
My Carrier: orange

Re: Has the Blackberry Playbook now come to an end!

Thank you for your input, I think we will have to just wait and see what happens although things don't look too positive!