Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Tesco

Help! Christmas present wont work.

Bought my son a playbook for Christmas. Turned it on and followed the on screen prompts. It then asked us to download an upgrade (2.1.0.1314) of 481mb.  It was connected to the wifi but wouldn't start the download. Also playbook wouldn't allow us to go back or stop the download. Assumed the Blackberry server was busy so tried later in the day. Still no joy. Tried again a few times the following day. Seemed to come up with two messages either internet disconnected or could not connect to the update server. It did download some of the update but then stopped.

Tried again the next day and the playbook downloaded 478mb of 481mb (99%). However it will still will not complete the download and wont allow us to do anything else. Finally today the playbook has been on all day and I have tried numerous attempts on the retry button to get it to download but it will not do anything. It tells me that it is connected to the wifi but still comes up with the same two messages as mentioned previously. My son is totally fed up that in the 4 days since recieving it he has not been able to use it and we are getting rather stressed trying to sort it out. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: Help! Christmas present wont work.

Try unplugging the router for a minute, then plug it in again. You can also check the security settings on the router. Other computer devices may work fine but the PlayBook may not. The PlayBook likes the following router settings which you can find on your computer . Data Encryption should be AES. Network Authentication should be WPA or WPA2.
Then you can check on the PlayBook for lts settings. Tap the wifi indicator in the top right. Tap Connect Manually. Enter the Network Name (SSID). Tap Security Type (WPA PERSONAL) or WPA2 Personal. Select Dual Band. Check Mark Automatically Obtain IP ADDRESS and Allow Inter Access Point Handover. Enter the Network Key (Usually the Router Password ).
Try this and report back. The PlayBook is fantastic but can be difficult to get it setup properly at the start. I had to reinstall my router network to get mine to run properly.
You can also lock onto an open wifi signal from a neighbors wifi or try McDonald's. Or a Coffee Shop to download the latest OS.