Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)
My Carrier: orange UK
Accepted Solution

Help with Magellan Compass please

I have Magellan compass. Bought it, can't get it to work but am persevering. Can anyone tell me how to get to a place on the map. I know where I want to go. A camp site for instance, I know the location, I can see it, but I do not know the site name or the co-ordinates. I try to mark the position by touch (as with other navigation programmes, and tell the programme I with to navigate to that place), but Magellen gives me no option to do that.

The manual is worse than useless. Lots of information how to use poi, but what if you don't want to go there? I just want to select a place and navigate to that place.

Hope someone can help

Regards

Ross

Regards to all (except BB)
Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10 + Torch + Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone Uk

Re: Help with Magellan Compass please

Hi Ross,

This might help you, what you could do is to put the cross hair over the map location where you want to go, then swipe down from the top and click onto the "directions" icon. click on  "add"  then "Lat/Lon"  and then "Map Center" then "add" that puts that map location into the route list, then you just need to add a start point. 

John

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks John. Cross Hair?  Haven't figured that one out yet. But will do and try as you have suggested. I have tried to use the map for a journey but no go. I think I have figured it out about loading the off-line maps. What an absolute pain is this programme. Not intuative one iota.What level of map do you download to be able to make a trip?

If you have good knowledge of this programme, can I private post to you with any enquiries. Post me if that is ok. Still ok if you don't post.

Regards

Ross

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

rossjackson01 wrote:

Thanks John. Cross Hair?  Haven't figured that one out yet. But will do and try as you have suggested. I have tried to use the map for a journey but no go. I think I have figured it out about loading the off-line maps. What an absolute pain is this programme. Not intuative one iota.What level of map do you download to be able to make a trip?

If you have good knowledge of this programme, can I private post to you with any enquiries. Post me if that is ok. Still ok if you don't post.

Regards

Ross

It's too bad you're having so many problems with this app. I love everything about it. I think your expectation levels are out of line actually. It's NOT a SAT NAV device like a dedicated GPS unit is - keep that in mind. You use a Wi-Fi device right (not LTE) Which means you have to initially have Wi-Fi to download and cache your maps, or else have a smartphone with Wi-Fi connectivity to do things on the fly. Also, you do realize that when BlackBerry 10 starts to ship you will be getting some form of BlackBerry Maps from Tom Tom on the PlayBook right? So if this particular app isn't for you, then wait for a while until the new stuff comes out with the new OS.

Browse this 11 minute video to get some tips on how to use it: Sample usage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-9wc_gNLNM

another sample usage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juAmTer873c&feature=fvwrel

It's not a how to per say but examples of how people use it. You will not get instruction but you can observe how they're using it.

This video is how to use Weather Radar on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMlqcX9Vjws

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the excellent information Chaosdivine. I look forward to BB10.

Regards

Ross