Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch & Playbook
My Carrier: Roghers

Highlighting and spell check

Hey,

So I have two questions, I would think would be simple to figure out but I have tried and not working for me ..

first is how do you select text in an email that you want to copy and paste? I tried to do the same thing as I would in the torch.. But not working

Second, in emails spell check works, it underlines in red, but how do you select options to change it to? Or any other spell check features???

Thanks

M

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Highlighting and spell check

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a spell check like on your Torch - which is a problem in my opinion. This is something RIM needs to add in a future release, as well as auto correct for things like don't (it works in email but nowhere else). Nice that it shows you the mispelled word, but tapping around to get to the right letter to fix it is very frustrating!
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

msheibani wrote:

Hey,

So I have two questions, I would think would be simple to figure out but I have tried and not working for me ..

first is how do you select text in an email that you want to copy and paste? I tried to do the same thing as I would in the torch.. But not working

Second, in emails spell check works, it underlines in red, but how do you select options to change it to? Or any other spell check features???

Thanks

M

Hello msheibani,

Have a look at this PlayBook demo at http://demos.blackberry.com/playbook which will show you how to copy and paste test as well as how to correct misspelled words appearing in red. 

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: ATT

It does not work in the bridge email though, those only work on native apps. HUGE problem in my book.

Contributor

It's nice that spell check works in Word to Go, but it needs to be implemented across the whole OS - especially in Email.  The problem from a user experience standpoint is inconsistency...

On my Torch, for example, auto-correct and spellcheck works whether I'm entering text into a forum, in Email, in the browser etc. - so I know what to expect.  But if it works one way in one application, and different in another - it means you're having to change the way you work to suit the application.

Which is typical with a computer, but I think in a tablet situation where typing is a bit more awkward and slow to start with, auto-correction and spell checking across the whole OS is critical.

Also, in my opinion, there should be a way to bring up arrows when the keyboard is open to allow you to move around, especially since there's no spelling correction in Email.  At least that would allow you to more easily move to a specific letter in a word.  Especially since you can't zoom in on text in Email either, it makes it very difficult to get to the exact letter you need to fix. 

I also think it needs to use auto-fill more as well - when I was logging in to the forums through my PlayBook the other night, and registering etc. I had to type in my freaking' email address like 6 times.  If the PB had remembered it after the first time, I'd have been able to save a lot of tapping.  Small annoyance but still...

Don't get me wrong, I love my Playbook - but these are things that are going to be deal-breakers for a lot of people, especially when you come to expect a certain level of messaging capabilities from a BlackBerry device!

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

dperlberg wrote:

It does not work in the bridge email though, those only work on native apps. HUGE problem in my book.

When you are in editing mode (composing, replying or forwarding an email) you should then have the option for copying and pasting text. Misspelled words should also appear in red for correction.

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor

HMthePirate
I get the red underline in the email but i cannot tap to change the word nor the copy and paste. I just tried it again to make sure. No dice.
Contributor

Yes, they do appear in red - but it does not suggest a correction... nice that it shows me I can't spell, but doesn't help if you don't know the correct spelling! 

Highlighted
Contributor

Select does work for me - put your finger beside the word, hold for a few seconds and you should get 2 blue arrows/markers - one for the start and one for the end of the selection - as well as a menu that gives you cut, copy, paste, clear, and cancel.

That works fine for me in Bridge Email no problem.

Contributor

Thanks, that part works for me as well. Now just to get that spellcheck working!