Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16G
My Carrier: Rogers

Hot battery and charging problem with Playbook

I have a 16G Playbook, a couple years old. I just recently updated to the new OS, don't know if that is related to this problem or not but here is what happened. The PB was in standby mode and when I picked it up to use it, it was very hot near the battery area. I couldn't get it to respond so I left it alone for a day. The next day I charged it and I was able to get it to come on and use it but the charge would not go above 0%. Leaving it plugged in I was able to use it but once unplugged it would fade out. Now after leaving it plugged in overnight, I have the green light that should mean it is fully charged but I cannot get it to respond at all. I have tried all combinations of hard restarts but have not been able get it to respond. 

Can anyone offer and ideas?

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Hot battery and charging problem with Playbook

Leaving it connected to the charger, press and hold the top edge power button for about 20-30 seconds... what happens, what do you see on screen and/or the LED?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I've tried that a few times, sometimes I get the red light coming on for a few seconds and then it goes off, other times no light at all. In both cases there is nothing on the screen itself.

Thanks

You've tried it a few time with it connected to the charger?

The wall outlet charger?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Yes, connected to the charger that came with the PB.

New Contributor

Latest on this, I was out for an hour or so came back (PB left on charger) and the LED was flashing red slowly (flash, pause of a few seconds then flash again). I thought maybe this was a good sign as it was at least different then before. I tried hitting the power button and all that did was stop the flashing. Tried holding the power button for ~20 seconds and the red LED came on again, stayed on for about 10 seconds and then went off, zero activity on the screen.  Now  I can't get any kind of response.

I really feel it's charging... at 0% charge, it's known that it can take forever.

Two additional things: Get the PlayBook magnetic rapid charger, it's higher powered and will revive it.

About $14USD.  http://www.amazon.com/Blackberry-Rapid-Travel-Charger-Playbook/dp/B004XBZ728/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Do what is known as "stack charging" a Playbook:

1. plug the playbook charger, (stock, rapid travel, or dock), into a surge protector,,, surge protector should be off
  2. connect playbook
  3. turn on power using the surge protector on/off switch for 2 (two) minutes, then off for 1 (one) minute
  4. continue this as necessary until playbook begins to take charge normally,,, this will be indicated by a continuous flashing led light, (normally yellow to green)
  5. it's advisable to never let your playbook get below 10%,,, there is an audible warning sound that'll alert you to this
  6. if no surge protector is available, you'll have to remove the charger from the outlet as necessary,,,
  7. I don't recommend repeatedly removing the mini usb charger connection, as it's very fragile-
    if possible leave it plugged in & charging overnight before stacking,,, this *may* shorten stack time.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/how-stack-charge-revive-dead-playbook-895909/

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Thanks,I gave that a try, exactly as described, for an hour with no signs of life. At that point during one of the off cycles I pressed and held the power button for about 20 sec, still no sign of life. Then with the next  On cycle the red light came on followed by the pulsing yellow green. I thought it was fixed but within a couple of minutes in went to solid green, which i thought a little suspicious. So I continued the on-off cycle (using the surge protector) a few more times: turn off, wait a minute; turn it on and it would go red light for  several seconds, pulse yellow-green for a few minutes, then solid green. Then i would cut the power again, and repeat with the same results for a few more times. I've decided to just leave it plugged in now overnight and check in the morning. As I write it is plugged in and the green light is solid on. We'll see, fingers crossed.