Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB, OS 2.1.0.1314, with leather case-stand, fast dock charger, dual purpose car/home ReTrak charger... and more!
My Carrier: not cellular, just wi-fi - all I ever need!
Accepted Solution

How do I... (1) "play" a ppt; (2) "see" my sub-folders and their files in "Docs To Go" or "File Manager"?

This is written for the Playbook blog writer in the hope that he will see it here and post a blog answer. However, a reply from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks.

[2 questions about PPBB OS 2.0+]

Hi. Thanks for your very informative blog. I would appreciate it if you would consider writing blog tips to answer the following:

1) Why can't I organize my files in "Documents" or "File Manager" to "see" them in their sub-folders?

BBPB allows me to create SUB folders in the Documents folder, through my pc's access to the "Documents" folder in the Playbook. However, then I cannot "see" these created sub-folders on my BBPB after I disconnect my BBPB from my PC.

All the files I downloaded into these "sub" folders end up all together in the file list in "DOCS TO GO", either in "Documents" or "Music" or "Video" or "Pictures" ---- but these files are NOT separated into the sub-folders I created. The same thing happens in "FILE MANAGER" i.e. all files on the Playbook are in ONE place only.

Is the Playbook OS ever going to allow one to view sub-folders and what is in them, other than using the pc to do it? For example, it would be desirable to put all my ppt files into one folder.

2) How do I "play" a PPT file in the BBPB?

The BBPB "User Guide" says that I can "view, edit, or play" Powerpoint Presentations. However, although it describes how to "view" or "edit" individual slides, it does not say how to "play" ("run") a slideshow. How do you "play" a self-running slideshow?

For example, in Windows, you can click "play.bat" (in a saved "presentation cd" folder on a cd or USB stick) to run the ppt with sound and pictures saved in that folder (you don't need the Powerpoint program itself for this, since you are using the "pptview.exe" file in the same folder to "play" it). However, after downloading all the files in this "presentation cd" folder to the Playbook, I could only see one of them, the ppt file itself ---- and there is no icon in the Playbook to "play" the slideshow, it seems. Help?!

Thank you.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: How do I... (1) "play" a ppt; (2) "see" my sub-folders and their files in "Docs To Go" or "File Manager"?

First, I use an app called "File Browser" to view those subfolders.

As for running a powerpoint, I can open a ppt file and it runs in Documents to go. Next to the "Close" button there are three icons. The third one runs the ppt file as a slideshow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB, OS 2.1.0.1314, with leather case-stand, fast dock charger, dual purpose car/home ReTrak charger... and more!

Re: How do I... (1) "play" a ppt; (2) "see" my sub-folders and their files in "Docs To Go" or "File Manager"?

Thanks John. I will try "running" another ppt with the 3rd. button. The ppt I downloaded depends on a music file to end playing before it goes to the next screen from the opening screen. This is probalby why it gets stuck on the opening screen, as the audio file (wma) does not play (even though I downloaded it to the Playbook together with the presentation in a directory called "presentationCD" (which was originally created in Windows XP. I am running Win7 on my pc).

Also, thanks for the info on the file-seeing type APP. I will download the app and see how it works. I guess this confirms what I suspected: the Playbook does not use a sub-directory file structure, meaning you can only see ALL the files TOGETHER.

Thanks again. You were very helpful.. 

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I didn't try with a ppt that is set to run automatically. I just opened it and skipped to the next slide manually.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

I just found "FILE BROWSER" by "Aftab - Version 2.3.7 (806kb) in Blackberry APP World ---- the reviews are excellent, with some people saying that RIM should include this app as standard in the operating system. I agree with this, as the current "FILE MANAGER", though helpful, is somewhat limited as per my original post above. Let's hope RIM adopts something like this app as standard. I'll post some more about this app when I use it.
Guru II

Good luck! Glad to have helped.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

wonder1-47100 wrote:

This is probalby why it gets stuck on the opening screen, as the audio file (wma) does not play (even though I downloaded it to the Playbook together with the presentation in a directory called "presentationCD" (which was originally created in Windows XP. I am running Win7 on my pc).

I am not a PPT-on-Playbook expert, but to maximize your chances of having something that works perfectly, I advise you to find the way, in PowerPoint, to embed the audio file in the PPT file, and not rely on the playing app to fetch it (I am cautious about relative file paths...).

Furthermore as far as I know WMA files can be read by the PlayBook provided they do not have DRMs in it.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Xandrex wrote:

wonder1-47100 wrote:

This is probalby why it gets stuck on the opening screen, as the audio file (wma) does not play (even though I downloaded it to the Playbook together with the presentation in a directory called "presentationCD" (which was originally created in Windows XP. I am running Win7 on my pc).

Furthermore as far as I know WMA files can be read by the PlayBook provided they do not have DRMs in it.

I have over 2000 WMA files on my Playbook and they all work perfectly 

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

is this the entire discography of Elvis Presley???? Smiley Wink

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Xandrex wrote:
is this the entire discography of Elvis Presley???? Smiley Wink

All autograph by him ;-)

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin