Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

How do I restore from BlackBerry Desktop?

Greetings,

I've received a new PlayBook from BlackBerry, and I would like to set it up. I created a backup using BlackBerry Desktop software 7.1 on my previous PlayBook.

1. The restore file ("4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook (11-03-2013).bbb") contains "Application Data". Does this mean the backup file doesn't contain the applications themselves? Do I need to install the applications first from BlackBerry World?
  2. Performing a device restore will erase "all files" on the device before the restore begins. Are applications and updates erased as well?
  3. When I restore a my Style, I can select which databases I want to restore. Can I do the same with the PlayBook?

Thanks,

Shane.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: How do I restore from BlackBerry Desktop?

SGoodman wrote:

Greetings,

I've received a new PlayBook from BlackBerry, and I would like to set it up. I created a backup using BlackBerry Desktop software 7.1 on my previous PlayBook.

1. The restore file ("4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook (11-03-2013).bbb") contains "Application Data". Does this mean the backup file doesn't contain the applications themselves? Do I need to install the applications first from BlackBerry World?
  2. Performing a device restore will erase "all files" on the device before the restore begins. Are applications and updates erased as well?
  3. When I restore a my Style, I can select which databases I want to restore. Can I do the same with the PlayBook?

Thanks,

Shane.

1) The program are not included in any backup, they can all be re-install from the BlackBerry World if you are using the same BBID, you will not have to buy them again. and Yes you must re-install the program before restoring their data

2) No, the update and program (for most of them) will not be erase, but any document(s), picture(s), music, etc... will be destroy when restoring a backup

3) If the Backup contain more than just APPLICATION DATA, then yes you can choose if you want to also restore the SETTINGS, and MEDIA, but you can not choose which part of either set you want to restore

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Super Contributor
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

Re: How do I restore from BlackBerry Desktop?

I installed some of the apps first, then did a restore from BlackBerry Desktop. After the restore was complete, I noticed that all of my apps had been restored, even the ones I didn't install. Also strange, was that the apps that were restored were the versions available at the time I created the backup, and not the latest versions. So there were two updates available.

So far I've noticed that the BlackBerry Desktop backup file didn't include my email accounts or my device password. Otherwise it looks like I'm on my way to getting my device working again.

Thanks all.

Shane.