Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: None

How to access Android Market with OS 2.0.0.7971

It is not obvious to me how to access the Android Market with the latest Playbook software update.  Would someone please enlighten me?

Super Contributor
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

Re: How to access Android Market with OS 2.0.0.7971

I can't seem to figure it out either, also does anyone know how to create new folders. This corrective type is pretty awesome.
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 9860
My Carrier: Bell

New folders are created by dragging one icon over another and dropping it. To move icons from one folder to another you need to drag them up into the dock bar and the folder will minimize and allow you to move it to another folder.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

There is no access to the full Android Marketplace, instead, developers repackage their android apps and submit them to Blackberry's App World. So to the end user, there is no difference between an android app and a true blackberry app.

Developer

Of course, stupid me.  I forgot there is always the 'fine print'. Smiley Sad

That was not what the advertising implied to me,  So, if the android developer doesn't submit our favourite app to Blackberry we're SOL.

I would guess Blackberry has also made it more difficult to jailbreak the latest OS version too.

Not happy!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

What's there to not be happy about? RIM hasn't kept it a secret this is how it will work
Developer

I'm not happy because I thought I would have more access to Android Apps, maybe RIM didn't keep it secret but I would bet a lot of users were expecting more access to Android Apps than appears to be the case.

I am also not happy about the fact my Linux machine can no longer see the PlayBook via usb.

I want to go back to my previous version.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

rmisk wrote:

I'm not happy because I thought I would have more access to Android Apps, maybe RIM didn't keep it secret but I would bet a lot of users were expecting more access to Android Apps than appears to be the case.

I am also not happy about the fact my Linux machine can no longer see the PlayBook via usb.

I want to go back to my previous version.

You do have access to Android apps in AppWorld.

You cannot revert the OS.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: rogers

Most people were under the impression that OS2 would run Android apps.  Ported apps would run before OS2 so no change was made, right? 

I asked the owner of the SkySafari (must-have) astronomy software if they would kindly port their app to PB but they don't have the time or staff to maintain another platform. He is not interested in PB.  I wanted to support our Canadian company by buying PB but since I cannot run this app I basically wasted $400. "No good deed goes unpunished." 

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Apps not in AppWorld can still be side loaded to the PlayBook, just as before.

Nothing attempted, nothing gained.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code