Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

How to skip the update during start up of my new playbook

Hi... I just purchased my a new playbook and it is very frustrating... and disappointing... cause I need it wifi to get it started... After i managed to go to a cafe and get Wifi it was even more frustrating... since I had to update the software which is nearly 300MB... which I could not download since it was slow and getting disconnected... I wish blackberry gave smaller updates... or an option to skip the update... cause it 7 days since I have got my new playbook and yet not been able to use it... I would not recommend my friends to go for it since its been disappointing is there any other way to get it started or easier way to update the software... since its frustrating having it and not being able to use it.. Please help me with the problem Regards Rahul
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: How to skip the update during start up of my new playbook

The update process is to ensure you have the latest OS on it.

I dont know of a way to get around it at this time.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

I don't think there's a way to skip it, as well.
On the other hand, bear in mind that this is a Wi-Fi dependent device - almost everything you can do in with (bar using offline games or apps) needs either wi-fi or bridging with a BB smartphone.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10, Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Rogers

I think there's a way you can update it via desktop. Do a forum search to look for how to do that. Usually a bad download is due to server load on RIM's side, so you have to run the update close to your router, and in the morning or late night (not at 5-7pm)
-----------
Chris --- http://www.twitter.com/chrispycrunch
-----------
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Carrier: Vodacom

I must agree that it is quite silly that you are forced to update it. There is reason to force a update no big operating system does that. They alert you and suggest you to update but not force thats just silly. I can under stand the need for wifi connectivity cause there is not allot todo with no internet. thats my 2 cents.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Ludjer wrote:

I must agree that it is quite silly that you are forced to update it. There is reason to force a update no big operating system does that. They alert you and suggest you to update but not force thats just silly. I can under stand the need for wifi connectivity cause there is not allot todo with no internet. thats my 2 cents.

Not to be argumentative, but the update process is what fixes the many bugs that the PB has.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor
My Carrier: Vodacom

Sure update always are better then not updating but you must remember not everyone has internet and when I first got my play book it was over a 300 MB update now I am quite fortunate I have fast internet in south Africa but I pay allot for o over 200 Euro a month for 4 Mbps for 50 GB during the day and uncapped during night. Now what happens to the people that only have internet through there phones cause the adsl penetration is under 5% last time I checked. How long will it take them to teather it through there phones and even if they go to a cafe where there is wireless its normally 512Kb which is 50KBps they will have to spend a long time and if it fails they basically have to restart the process. Im just saying that it is quite a silly thing to not give any alternatives or ability to skip anything specially for for 3rd world countries. Since majority of the people here only use there phones to access the internet cause adsl is "too" expensive.

My Device: playbook
My Carrier: none

Had the same issue, was in a hotel with crappy wifi ... 36hrs of trying to update it.

Solution (that worked for me) was to use the BB Desktop app (on my laptop).

- turn off BB PB

- install BB Desktop on pc/laptop

- connect PB to PC using usb cable

- turn on PB

- *** be quick here *** on your pc a small message box appear with an "update" button, click it before the PB gets to the stuck wifi update screen

- now your pc will take over the updating process, which worked 1st time for me

[supposedly this method makes the PB thinks it's bricked and installs the o/s direct]

Hope helps and good luck.

AndyD

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

be warned the this debricking method wipes your device in the process

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Smart

Can't skip the software update feature.