Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700, Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless Canada

Re: I am missing Video Chat, YouTube, Podcasts in OS 2.0

Recently got the Playbook and updated to 2.0 shortly after. Did not notice until afterward that I was missing some apps (Video Chat being the most important for me). I found this and a few other threads talking about the same problem. Talked to Blackberry support and their suggestions (i.e. security wipe, updating using desktop) didn't work. After some digging, they found that a lot of people who have this problem have the same internet service providers at home (in my case, Telus in Vancouver, BC). Apparently, certain internet providers have firewalls that don't play well with services and devices

***THE FIX***

Just go to your local public library, McDonalds or Starbucks and use their Wi-Fi access. From the home screen, access the menu and make it check for an update again. In my case, it found a small 25mb update that added the missing apps.

Hope this works for your guys too.

RTA
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: N/A

This above method works I just tried it at Mcdonalds and success, so thats the end of that problem. Anyone having the same issue look at the above ^ message and tryout it out, it should work.

My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Mobily KSA

After I updated to Playbook OS 2.0 i realized that i am missing Video Chat, YouTube and Podcast app.  I live in saudi Arabia, Is there anything I can do? do you think it will be accessible also here in KSA

My Device: Playbook Tablet
My Carrier: Globe Philippines

I have the same problem; I live in the Philippines and also cannot get the apps.  I don't understand why this is a problem.  I have an iPod and use iTunes to download Podcasts so why can't Blackberry provide the same service?

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700, Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless Canada

I think I read somewhere on the forums that someone living in the UK or something had similar problems with missing apps- He solved it by doing a security wipe and using the US as his location. If it's Blackberry being picky about international locations that might help you. But if it's your local internet provider blocking certain apps, then you might have to resort to a fancier solution (maybe using a VPN on your desktop connection to do an update???).

Good luck!

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

I had the same problem and after talking with the guys at RIM for 2 hours and my ISP for 45 mins we figured out the problem.  Apparently some ISP's have created new new batches of IP Addresses in some area's and the fortunate part is I was apart of the new batch's so because of this change RIM hasn't accounted in there system for new addresses which they use to determine where you are located, and because of this it appears in there system that I am in a different country and am unable to download Video Chat, or you tube or pod casts because of the security settings associated with different countries.  They have told me to log onto a different network, eg hot spot with my computer and do a reinstall of the OS this should fix it or go to a mcdonalds and do a security wipe there so I will be able to log onto an IP address that RIM will recognize as being Canadian.  I hope this information works for everyone and good luck.

Developer
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: Koodo

Approaching the end of July and this is still a problem? A couple days ago, my PlayBook magically reset itself as if a security wipe was done. Forced downloading OS 2.0.1 even though I had it installed, and then the desktop saw it as 1.0.0 -- so I had to update all 322+ MB of it again from the desktop software in order to restore my settings.

Today I went to do a video chat and the app was missing (along with others, I see). The strange thing is, I'm in Canada and I do have the NFB app even though I saw one report that this was an app some were missing.

Developer

It seems odd if that is the problem. Just searched for IP address geolocation and a couple different sites showed my location with more accuracy than I would like!

I guess I'll find out when I try again tomorrow from work.

Developer

As gtiu posted in his solution, no need to do a security wipe. Just "check for updates". I brought my PlayBook to work today and was abld to do an update and get this missing apps back.

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

jakealvin,
Google BLACKBERRY KNOWLEDGE BASE article KB27203. Saudi Arabia does not permit several APPS such as Video Chat, Podcast and others although YouTube is permitted.