Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: Classic
My Carrier: O2

I now understand why Blackberry is circling the drain!

I have a Bold 9780, which has served me well for a couple of years, until now, and a 64Gb Playbook which again, until now, has been a pretty decent tablet. The "until now" should become apparent quite shortly. The points being made by me are regarding perrenial but crucial known issues. Issues that RIM have neither solved nor discussed honestly and openly! (in my opinion!)

CalDAV/Calendar - issues should come as no surprise to seasoned owners and contact lists misbehaving is not solely the provence of a particular model but seems to be across the entire brand.

The issues with two "unknown" contact lists on my phone are not in themselves unknow to probably tens of thousands of users, if not more. The "fact" that it is a known issue with no time frame for a resolution is an arrogance of hitherto unreached proportions. Cumbersome work arounds and reliance on sometimes third part solutions is no solution at all.

Apparently just about every other major handset manufacturer seems to have a methodology for their own version of desktop software to interface with mail clients - and control the data on the phone or tablet, whether corporate or individual domestic users. This is most definately the elephant in the room for RIM. As a former owner of Apple, Sony and Nokia products I can confirm that all of these brands did indeed have a version of Desktop Software which served its purpose well, unlike it seems RIM!

We have the forum posted dismay, mine now included, whereby for whatever reason, the Calendar on ones playbook no longer syncs with your mail client of choice, particularly if you are a domestic user. It does not help that Google seem to have thrown the baby out with the bathwater, but in their defence - they do not have to support RIM's needs for its phone/playbook users. In my own case, a security re-set and a reload of a saved backup, resulted in NO CalDAV sync betwixt my beloved Playbook and my GMail account calendar. Phone and Calendar still works, until now, but the Playbook has regretfully become an isolated toy limited to web browsing and not much else. Apparently, if I get this right,  RIM relied on someone elses product, acting as a bridge to yet again someone elses product, to link with RIM's product - really? And as consumers we, including me, "fell for that!"

That RIM, have not nor do not have a solution for ALL customers for syncing calendars and mails, even between their own platforms, speaks volumes in either a corporate arrogance or a corporate incompetence or both. RIM had a really good launch of its Z10, but seeing the number of issues being now discussed for its flagship product, questions can now be raised like perhaps "was it rushed?"

As a contract programmer who has worked in retail, banking and finance, oil and gas exploration and defence companies, that RIM does not have current desktop software to service all customers needs, either corporate or domestic, is quite frankly no longer acceptable and quite shockingly unforgivable in my opinion.

RIM was the most successful mover of handsets in the UK last year. It's discounted Playbook flew off the shelves. How it managed that with these serious user issues is indeed a miracle probably attributable to modern marketing spin.

The last throw of the die is for me to await the release of the Q10. If I cannot successfully control updates and synchronisation between my phone, my tablet and my choice of non-corporate mail client (Outlook not Exchange) then its probably back to Nokia for me and it will be with bitter regret that my RIM products will be recycled for the children to use.

Super Contributor
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

Re: I now understand why Blackberry is circling the drain!

"Was it rushed"?  LOFL.  

The PBs flew off the shelvess because for just over 100 quid why not have a go; for the money they are still the dogs b's compared to any other android at the time, and the promise of BB10 made them a speculative purchase.  You see how much they are when they release the retained stock as the Playbook 10, or some such name. 

By the way it's Blackberry, RIM don't exist. keep up. 

Think youve missed the point friend! Blackberry/RIM, whats in a name? Change the name and leave all of the existing woes behind is it? Decent tablet, bought at a lot less than originally sold at, so then it was a bargain! Apart from that, I see that you didn't wish to comment upon anything else.

That's a shame, constructive criticism or debate is always welcome. fanboy myopia kind of clouds ones ability to accept critique doesn't it?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh.....if ever there was justification in the term "was it rushed" just look at they tales of woe on the Z10 forum!  Blackberry/RIM you've obviously got a lot of bright people working for you, but maybe real customers should test your new products to bits before general release rather than celebrity air-heads! (in my opinion)

Super Contributor
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

It was just the concept that something that took sooooo long to come out was rushed. 

No nothing else was worth commenting on.

I suppose I could comment that your comments are not worth commenting upon..........play nice, i don't mind for one moment that you may have a different opinion, quite refreshing actually to have some semblance of constructive debate. That you degenerate into pseudo snide comments when you've nothing to say, speaks volumes. You have a really nice day now. You're very good at keeping up your paid day job of slapping down any criticism of RIM. Thats the way to do it, that way RIM doesn't have to get better and I can mull over the £800 or so that I paid for my smartphone and tablet as being "really well spent" (that was sarcasm if you didn't notice) and hope that RIM keeps up all the good work of keeping narcisistic fanboys happy.