Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: I tried everything and the PlayBook won't charge

TomD,
If there is no light activity, hold the power button down for not more than 20 seconds and release. Plug the PlayBook into the charger before doing this. Leave it on charge overnight.
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

I tried the procedure where I push down the red button for 5 seconds and release then leave for 5 minutes for over an hour last night and then let it charge overnight.

This morning I held the power button down for 15 seconds while plugged in then left it charge all day.

Still nothing.

I checked the current draw with an ammeter just now and it was zero when the charger was plugged into the PlayBook.  I tried pressing buttons and still no current.  I then I unplugged the cable from the PlayBook and put it in my phone.  It was using 50 mA at 120 V so I know the charger is working.  The phone also indicated it was charging.

Is there anything else I can try?  Thanks!

...Tom

Forums Veteran I

Read the following Knowledge Base articles. KB26808, KB26708, Here is another one.KB26808 Not Charging
The BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet requires software control in order to charge. This means the BlackBerry PlayBook must be powered on in order for the battery level to increase.

If the BlackBerry PlayBook is plugged into a power source while powered off it will automatically power on in order to accept the charge.
If the BlackBerry PlayBook is powered off while plugged into a charging source it will not continue to charge.
Note: If the battery level is critically low, the BlackBerry PlayBook may remain on the boot screen until sufficient charge has been reached to fully boot the BlackBerry PlayBook. In BlackBerry PlayBook Software 1.0.8.6067 there is a change in the charging behaviour. When the BlackBerry PlayBook is in a powered off state, plugging in the wall charger (not a USB cable connected to a computer) will cause the BlackBerry PlayBook to boot part way to enable charging. The LED light will blink yellow to indicate it is charging and once complete will turn green. When in the charging state, pressing the Power button will cause the BlackBerry PlayBook to continue booting.
New Contributor

I read the articles but there are no lights or boot screens.  It isn't recognized by the Blackberry software on my  laptop so there is no way to update any firmware.  Since it is not drawing any power (based on the ammeter), the battery is not charging the slightest bit so it will never boot.

Is there a way to submit a warranty claim online or do I need to call?  Thanks again for your help!

...Tom

Forums Veteran I

What country are you in and when did you buy it?
New Contributor

I'm in the United States and I purchased it from Staples on 9/8/2011.  Thanks!

...Tom

Forums Veteran I

Here is the contact info for Rim Support
Tel:
Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com
Developer
My Device: Pearl 9105 - Playbook 16Gb
My Carrier: Tigo

[ Edited ]

ok this article explain the reason http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?noCount=true&externalId=KB27705&sliceId=1&cm...

but maybe not the solution, I left it charging almost 24 hrs, at the begginin neither Desktop

Software reconized the playbook, now it does, I read that one should choose the upgrade option I did but just the day before yesterday when I openend the pb I had to update 1.2 GB so I wont repeat that step at least not this month.

I am disconecting the usb from the pb, when I do it red light tuns on, I think it means it is charging for some time I will wait 4 min then unplug and plug and repeat until I see any yellow led.

when I unplug the outlet at the wall nothing happens.

when I press 20 sec the power buttom nothing happens.

when I press power  + and - nothing happens, besides the article implies it is not necesarry.

I have the last version, I am about to begin a new treath, hopes this can help you.

Pearl 9105 6.0 Bundle 2950
Playbook 2.1.0.1032
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks for the additional info. I spent some time on the phone with technical support at Blackberry and I am in the process of returning it for repair.

...Tom
Contributor
My Device: Playbook and Z10
My Carrier: EE

This worked for me:
1) insert charger - red light comes on for ~20 secs
2) remove charger - wait 10 secs
3) repeat 1 & 2 foor ~6-7times

eventually the battery charge screen appears and the LED flashes yellow/green

wait a couple of hours and it will switch on normally