Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: 8530
My Carrier: Orance

Re: I tried everything and the PlayBook won't charge

This has been driving me crazy. I accidentally let my playbook charge right down after spending all evening loading holiday information.

I let it charge overnight nothing

I tried holding down the power button for 20 seconds nothing

I have tried stack charging. To beging with I was getting a red led light for about 20 seconds and then it would go off and nothing. Now the light lasts only half a second.

When I plug into the PC it is recognised for a few moments and the red led light comes on, but then when the light goes off the computer looses connections.

Is there anything else I can try? I have wasted hours here.

I have been a huge fan of Blackberry for years but this design fault is really angering me. At the very least there should be really clear warnings not to let your battery run completely dead. (Yes I know it was stupid but phone

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

I was just about to return my PlayBook for repair and it started working again.  It had been sitting around for about a week while I waited for the box and was able to pack it up.  Just before putting it in the box I thought I would give it one more try and to my surprise it started charging.  During the week it was not plugged into any power source.  I don't know if that had anything to do with it but prior to that point I spent a lot of time trying everything else to get it working.

If you do give this a try, let me know if it works.  Ever since then the PlayBook has been working great and it is a very nice tablet.

...Tom

New Contributor
My Device: BB Playbook 64G
My Carrier: Rogers

Just do what Tom and I did. Leave it unplugged and don't touch it for a week or so. Then plug it back in and see if it takes a charge. It took a long time to get above 0%, but after about 4 hrs it was fully charged and has been fine ever since! Let us know if that works.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32 and 64 gig models
My Carrier: MTS

I had what seems to be the same problem, tried all the fixes and was also on the phone with technology support and still had a dead playbook....was ready to toss it and had left it laying in a drawer unplugged for app a week...tried on more time a it flashed red and then slowly took a charge and is now working.....good luck......

My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: rogers

[ Edited ]
This worked for me:
1) insert charger - red light comes on for ~20 secs
2) remove charger - wait 10 secs
3) repeat 1 & 2 foor ~6-7times

eventually the battery charge screen appears and the LED flashes yellow/green

wait a couple of hours and it will switch on normally
ticfever

I tried everything and this is the only thing that worked, thanks for posting, so simple and it works!

Liz

New Contributor
My Device: 8530
My Carrier: Orance

I tried leaving it for ten days, but it is completely dead now. I was getting at least a red light for ten seconds when I plugged it in initially, but now nothing at all. The charger is definitely working as it charges my phone, and it is the Playbook charger. I gues I'll just have to chalk this up as an expensive lesson.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

mcward63 wrote:

I tried leaving it for ten days, but it is completely dead now. I was getting at least a red light for ten seconds when I plugged it in initially, but now nothing at all. The charger is definitely working as it charges my phone, and it is the Playbook charger. I gues I'll just have to chalk this up as an expensive lesson.

is it still under warranty?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Curve and Playbook
My Carrier: O2

Don't know if this is still a problem for you, but I had a similar problem and resolved it after speaking to the BB support team.  The trick is to disconnect the playbook from the charger, and then press the start button alone for a minimum of 20 seconds before reconnecting the charger (with the start button still pressed down).  Only after the charger is reconnected should you release the start button.  You will then see the red light light up after which it will pulse green, and a full charge will recommence.  The playbook will then switch itself on after about 30 minutes.  Let it charge fully before disconnecting from the charger - and don't let the charge die completely again to prevent any recurrence.

I hope this helps.

Utter_Rotter

Contributor
My Device: Playbook and Z10
My Carrier: EE

Well - I know my previous post regarding stack chargiing worked for me and a couple of others. But my playbook is now at RIM for repair for not charging. Let's be clear, no other device that I have had that requires charging behaves like this. When any device needs a charge, you plug it in, and it charges. Not a playbook!
New Contributor
My Device: Curve and Playbook
My Carrier: O2

I agree, it is very strange behaviour, and neither intuitive nor user-friendly as far as this charging problem is concerned.  However, my reply posted above does work to resolve the problem, and I though it should be posted to help others.  I don't remember seeing any warning when unpacking my new playbook a few months ago about not letting the battery go completely flat, so I assume that this is a common problem and more people will be looking for a universal solution as more people experience it.  that is if the playbook reputation doesn't suffer too much to prevent any new users taking it up.

Utter_Rotter