Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

I want to buy this, but don't know if I should wait for new version..

Hello,

I've been a RIM and a BlackBerry fan for about two and a half years now. Originally had a Pearl about two years ago and liked it a lot. I got the Torch 9800 last October (2010), and absolutely love it, and would rather have NO other phone--I still love the Torch and still use it now. And I am now considering getting a BlackBerry Playbook tablet.

It only seems though, that my luck is always that I buy something new and then soon after, a NEWER version is released, making my version obsolete. I am considering making a purchase of the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet here in a few weeks. Is there going to be any newer version of it released that I should wait for instead, or something? Just  trying to make sure I make the best decision in order to stay as up-to-date as I can.

Thanks.

-loyal RIM and BlackBerry fan,

etccu

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: I want to buy this, but don't know if I should wait for new version..

There's been no announcement of a new version coming out, except for a LTE mobile network version, which hasn't surfaced yet. Other than that , RIM hasn't made any plans public.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Ok so, I found this article about the LTE version's being developed:

http://www.tmcnet.com/channels/mobile-unified-communications/articles/208177-lte-version-blackberry-...

Does this basically mean that the "LTE" version is going to be the version of the PlayBook that will be 4G-enabled?

That is correct.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

JSanders, thank you so much for all of the help. What I will most likely do is wait until this LTE version is released before I purchase a PlayBook.

Yep, good luck!

Knowledge Base Updates
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

etccu....... make sure you look around in this forum. I too am a huge fan of blackberry phones, and being in retail sales (cars) have found my 9630 Tour's ability to handle multiple email accounts, all my Excel spreadsheets, PDF files, and my MS Access database invaluable. HOWEVER, the Playbook does NOT yet have native email client, have to bridge it to the phone; PB has no database app that reads Access files; PB cannot search for words in a text file; PB fails to run many of my Excel spreadsheets. Then there is no Skype app, no USB port or way to upgrade the memory..... I wish I had gottrn an Android. Watch for prices to continue to fall!
Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8530 curve
My Carrier: cellular south

we have been promised by RIM that before the end of the month we will have native email and android BIG FIX 2.0
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

tboyd wrote:
we have been promised by RIM that before the end of the month we will have native email and android BIG FIX 2.0

a lot of us are eager for this update, no one tablet seems to fit all expectations. i picked playbook and it suits my needs.

I have tried other tablets ( xoom and ipad )and maybe some had more apps or features, but i kept coming back to the Playbook for ease of use, multi tasking, portability and Bridge.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

These are very interesting posts to read indeed, and I appreciate them all. I am very eager to buy a PlayBook, as I like my Torch 9800 so much; but I've been "left behind" by buying outdated versions of hardware that end up not upGRADING anymore (difference in upDATING), and so as bad as I hate to wait, I *am* gonna wait for the LTE version, to ensure 4G compatibility. Maybe that other stuff y'all talked about would be fixed by that time too.

--etccu