Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

Impossible to connect BB Playbook to Windows 8 PC

Hi all,

I'm new to Blackberry/Blackberry OS, and after numerous searches I have decided to post here in the hope that you can help me.

I have my BB playbook since yesterday, and up until now it has been completely IMPOSSIBLE to connect the device to my windows 8 x64 HP laptop via USB. I have tried reinstalling the drivers, the desktop software (which, btw, appears to be completely useless) and the BB OS. Nothing has helped. I am kind of in despair here.

When I look under 'Device Manager'/Network Adapters (in Windows), it says that 'This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)'. However, the drivers were installed from the BB playbook, so I have no idea how to fix this.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and were they able to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

My Device: Playbook 32 GB
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom (France)

Re: Impossible to connect BB Playbook to Windows 8 PC

HI,

you need to activate .NET Framework 3.5 before installing your Device Manager:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443.aspx

Best regards,

Laurent

Contributor
My Device: 64GB Playbook and 9330 Phone
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Hi, that fix does nothing.  

I have spent hours on this on a Toshiba Portege laptop Windows 8 64bit.....and still can't get it to connect.  

Usiing old BB Desktop software....New BB Desktop software.....Connected via USB 2.0....or 3.0...nothing.

Scurrying around the net....I can see many have tried...and given up.

Looked around these forums also....Blackberry Folks....you need to wake up...and actually post a fix...or an update indicating you are working the issue.

Contributor

Don't waste time on any of this..unfortunately .it changes nothing....

The BlackBerry PlayBook appears in Windows Device Manager but the Desktop Software does not detect the connected BlackBerry PlayBook.
KB28444 - The BlackBerry PlayBook is not directly connected to the system.
KB13331 - Power Management is enabled on the system.
KB28456 - Selective Suspend is enabled on the system.
KB28458 - User Account Control is disabled on the system
KB28457 - Administrative rights have not been correctly propagated to the BlackBerry Desktop Software
KB26745 - A personal firewall is blocking USB network connectivity to the BlackBerry PlayBook
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I should add...It appears in Windows Device Manager....under Network Adaptors...as "Blackberry Device"...with an error...

The error is "Windows can't load drivers for this device"....But all software loaded without error as far as I can tell.

Anybody actually got this thing working......in WINDOWS 8?

Contributor

Well....I have just uninstalled the Blackberry Device in Network Adaptors.

I then rebooted both the laptop and the Playbook.

On reboot...I reconnected. BB Desktop manager.  It is now working.  

It does not show up...as connected as a device like any other external hardrive or USB stick etc...only as a a WIFI device on the network.

But at least it works.....

Hope this helps someone...

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Connected my PB to my new HP lappy, running Windows 8. Worked well. Transfer movies to PB all the time. Load up BB program and then reboot and then plug in the PB by USB. Good Luck.
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

From what I understand, it's a 64bit problem. There's a hotfix from Microsoft but I'm also getting an error from that update. Works fine with my old 32bit desktop but not with my 64bit laptop.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10, Passport, Playbook 16 gig, 32gig, 64gig,
My Carrier: MTS,

I have windows 8 64 bit and transfer my files without any problem between Playbook and Windows 8 64 bit. Blackberry Link works fine. Uninstall all old Blackberry Desktop software and reinstall BB Link

You ca ntry using the following also.

Info is fom Blackberry

Home Support BlackBerry Knowledge Base

How to transfer files to and from the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and BlackBerry 10 smartphone

Article ID: KB26068

Type: Support Content

Last Modified: 03-27-2013

PrintEmail Document Bookmark

Product(s) Affected:

BlackBerry 10

Z10

Tablets

Search the knowledge base:

Visit BlackBerry Community Support Forums Follow us on Twitter® @BlackBerryHelp Collapse all | Expand all Jump to: Environment | Overview | Additional Information

CollapseEnvironment

BlackBerry PlayBook tablet

BlackBerry Desktop Software

Windows

Mac OS

BlackBerry 10

CollapseOverview

The following sections outline different methods of transferring files to and from the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.

Wi-Fi Sharing

Complete the following steps to share files over a Wi-Fi connection for BlackBerry PlayBook:

From the BlackBerry PlayBook home screen, select the settings icon.

Select Storage and Sharing.

Toggle Wi-Fi Sharing to ON.

Tap Properties to verify network identification information. (PlayBook name, password etc)

From a Windows or Mac based computer on the same network as the BlackBerry PlayBook, navigate to the IP address of the BlackBerry PlayBook which can be found under Settings > About > Network.

On a Windows computer, open the Run dialog box (shortcut of Windows Key + R) and type file:\\127.1.1.1 or \\127.1.1.1 (where 127.1.1.1 should be replaced with the actual IP address of the BlackBerry PlayBook)

On a Mac computer, select Go > Connect to Server... and type smb://127.1.1.1 (where 127.1.1.1 should be replaced with the actual IP address of the BlackBerry PlayBook)

Once the device is connected to the computer, navigate to the media folder which contains several sub-folders such as documents, music, photos, videos, etc, the BlackBerry PlayBook user can then move files between the computer and these folders.

Complete the following steps to share files over a Wi-Fi connection for BlackBerry 10 smartphone:

Swipe down from the top bezel

Select Settings

Select Storage and Access

Turn Access using Wi-Fi to On

Tap Identification on Network to verify network identification information (BlackBerry 10 device name, username)

From a Windows or Mac based computer on the same network as the BlackBerry 10 smartphone, navigate to the device matching the name found in step 5 under network devices or navigate to the IP address of the BlackBerry smartphone which can be found under Settings > About > Network > Wi-Fi.

On a Windows computer, open the Run dialog box (shortcut of Windows Key + R) and type file:\\127.1.1.1 or \\127.1.1.1 (where 127.1.1.1 should be replaced with the actual IP address of the BlackBerry PlayBook)

On a Mac computer, select Go > Connect to Server... and type smb://127.1.1.1 (where 127.1.1.1 should be replaced with the actual IP address of the BlackBerry 10 smartphone)

Once the device is connected to the computer, navigate to the media folder (for local device storage) or removable_sdcard (microSD card storage) which contains several sub-folders such as documents, music, photos, videos, etc, the BlackBerry 10 user can then move files between the computer and these folders.

File Sharing with a Mac via USB connection

To share files between a Mac and the BlackBerry PlayBook, BlackBerry Device Manager will need to be installed.

Complete the following steps to install BlackBerry Device Manager:

Connect the BlackBerry PlayBook or BlackBerry 10 smartphone to the Mac.

On the desktop or within Finder, double click BlackBerry PlayBook CD/ BlackBerry Link Installation.

Double click the BlackBerry Device Manager Installer to start the installation process.

After reviewing the Read Me and License Agreement click Continue Installation.

Reboot the computer when prompted.

After the reboot is complete and the BlackBerry PlayBook or BlackBerry 10 smartphone is started, a message may be presented stating that a new network interface has been detected. If this is the case, click on Network Preferences and click Apply.

After the PlayBook or BlackBerry 10 smartphone has been setup in Network Preferences, the PlayBook share will appear on the desktop whenever the PlayBook is connected to the computer.

Click the Playbook icon on the desktop to display the PlayBook share. Files can now be transferred to and from the BlackBerry PlayBook.

Note: If error message You can't install the 'Network' preferences pane because it is already installed. See the additional notes for further steps.

BlackBerry Device Manager is also included within the BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac. To download, please visit www.blackberry.com/mac.

File Sharing with a Windows PC via USB connection

To share files between a Windows based PC and the BlackBerry PlayBook, BlackBerry Device Manager will need to be installed. Complete the following steps to install BlackBerry Device Manager:

Connect the BlackBerry PlayBook to the computer via USB cable.

If BlackBerry Device Manager is not yet installed, the BlackBerry PlayBook will display a screen entitled Installing Drivers.

On the computer, double click the BlackBerry PlayBook CD drive icon or BlackBerry Link Installation.

Open the Drivers folder.

Double click Setup.exe.

After selecting the appropriate region and accepting the License Agreement select Install.

Select Finish and then OK to the prompt confirming that the PlayBook will need to be disconnected and then reconnected prior to use.

Once reconnected to the computer, the BlackBerry PlayBook or BlackBerry 10 smartphone will be mounted as a Network Drive labelled PlayBook [PIN: 5XXXXXXX] or BlackBerry [PIN: 2XXXXXXX] .

Double click the network drive icon to access the PlayBook or BlackBerry 10 smartphone folders.

CollapseAdditional Information

If the error message You can't install the 'Network' preferences pane because it is already installed is received while attempting to install the Network Device, complete the following steps:

1. Click OK and Navigate to System Preferences > Network

2. Click OK to accept the network changes. If the acceptance prompt is not displayed, continue to the next step.

3. Click the + under the listed network devices.

4. Click Create on the RIM Network device interface screen.

Notes:

File and Folder creation is only available on the BlackBerry PlayBook within the sub directories of the file structure. This is by design.

The main folders of the BlackBerry PlayBook are not meant to be modified renamed deleted or changed. This is by design.

While any file type can physically be moved to the BlackBerry PlayBook the files capable of being opened are still limited to KB26606 as well as KB26518.

Wi-Fi File sharing should work with any Operating system such as Linux, however it