Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Pearl 9100
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Jump start a PlayBook a knottyrope tip

Ok, thanks ! Im going in!

Contributor
My Device: bb playbook
My Carrier: bell

ggod luck

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook

OK. I read through this entire topic (7 pages of posts at this time of writing). 
I currently have a working PB.  But it's my second. The first was DOA out of the box from Best Buy, and I had to waste a trip to have them replace it from stock.  No doubt the initial dead one had a battery-charge-level problem.

My big question is: 

Around the time the wife and I were getting our Playbooks, we also got an iPAD for her mother (who lives with us). The old lady doesn't have a clue, and has allowed her tablet to discharge several times.  WHY doesn't the iPAD develop this stupid problem of choking itself to death when it hits low charge?  Who approved a design for the PlayBook that gives this kind of grief to so many people (this thread is just one of twenty or thirty with similar complaints)?

Is Apple really that much better at design and engineering? 

Yes, I know the i-Stuff isn't perfect (nor is my MacBook Pro...) but if the iPAD can survive - without problem - the kind of neglect and abuse that it gets from a befuddled old lady, why can't the PlayBook? 

Anyway, when my PB (or the wife's) inevitably suffers this problem, it's good to know that I can just destroy a USB cable to resurrect the beast.  

I guess what's most galling is that BlackBerry (formerly RIM) CHOOSES to remain silent on this and other chronic issues.  Just try to find useful comments from actual BlackBerry personnel in the forums. Or, try to find a useful instruction about THIS topic in the [ridiculously misnamed] Knowledgebase. 

Sheesh! 

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Kevin, all good comments and questions. When you find the answer let us all know.

It is what it is. I highly recommend the charging dock for the Playbook. You can set it on there and leave it knowing it won't run dead. I have told my wife to make sure hers never runs dead. She knows the limitation and loves the dock.

I love the Playbook. I actually like it better than the iPad. It just has some quirks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

from what I understand the latest update has fixed the dead battery issue it shuts the playbook off before the battery reaches that critical level.  The real problem as I have learned is the pb charging circut runs through the cpu so if the cpu doesnt have enough voltage to turn on then it wont allow the battery to charge.  A design flaw or over engineering you candecide either way I havent tested the new software to see if the fix has been applied I remain blissfully ignorant and believe that they have corrected the problem.......this one atleast.

Contributor

Has anyone tested just the battery at full charge to see what the multimetre should read? My battery tested just at + and - posts on the battery is 3 volts

Contributor

it should work fo you at that voltage.  you might have to download the balckberry software for p/c or whatever your running and reinstall the software on your pb it will erase everything on it but atleast it will work

Contributor

Hmmmmm, still wont even turn on or red light or anything, do i need the cover back on or something to turn it on?

Contributor

no...have you tried hooking it to your computer there is a option on the playbook software for repair playbook it basically erases everyting on there and reinstalls

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

I think the minimum voltage required is 3.3 volts.. 10% is 3.53V