Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: sprint

Just got a PLAYBOOK and have a fix for the POWER BUTTON problem...

I got my PLAYBOOK and the power button is a MAJOR failure in the engineering design and in my mind the only flaw in this neat tablet. I also got a official Blackberry Playbook Soft Shell case. Well guess what! The power on button doesn't work at all with the case!!!

This got me to thinking and I came up with a simple solution to a major problem. The Soft Shell case is a rubber like gel case that fits around the bezel and back of the playbook. All external power and hdmi etc connections have holes in the rubber for the given connection. The power button and volume controls have rubber equivalents. So when you press the volume up it still goes up. But when you press the power off it does not even turn off the power. This is because they did not extend the bottom of the rubber portion of the power switch long enough to make contact with the actual switch. Well I experimented and found that you can solve the problem with STANDARD post-it notes (not the shuffle kind) that have adhesive on one side. - Thake these standard post-it notes and count 6 together and peel them off - and take this solid mass of 6 post-it notes together and with a pair of sharp scissors cut a very small square that is small enough to be stuck on the bottom side of the rubber switch. Make sure you put the adhesive side up and sticking to the bottom of the rubber switch. Then slip the soft shell cover on the PLAYBOOK.

When you do this correctly the rubber switch is now extended so it will touch the power switch and easily turns off the PLAYBOOK each and every time without any problem whatsoever...

I hope this helps.

BTW I own a IPAD 2 and the video quality of the PLAYBOOK is as good as the IPAD. Also note I got a XOOM before the PLAYBOOK but the video was terrible and half as good as the IPAD or PLAYBOOK. I brought up similar videos in YOUTUBE on both IPAD and XOOM and IPAD was twice as good. A 1080P HD video ran smoothly on IPAD but was choppy on XOOM. I ended up taking the XOOM back (Best Buy does have its benefits) and got instead the PLAYBOOK. The side by side comparison is excellent for the PLAYBOOK compared to the IPAD with the exception that the PLAYBOOK plays flash and IPAD doesn't...

Regular Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530 OS 5.0.0.1030 and playbook OS 1.0.3.2342

Re: Just got a PLAYBOOK and have a fix for the POWER BUTTON problem...

I got a Otter box case for my PB and i have no problems with power button, i hardly use it anyways, i always keep it in stand by when not in use.
Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

The Power button works fine for me... use the pad of your finger, not the fingernail.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
My Device: Bold 9930/Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I agree mine works great but good idea for a solution for some of the cases.
New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: att

"I got a Otter box case for my PB and i have no problems with power button"

Just bought the Otter Box too, and it does help with turning-on.

Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Wife base a nice pink one by case mate and does not have that issue. My kids will never turn off theirs. I don't turn the power off on mine either, but for those that need to maybe it will help.

I will test kids otter box once it arrives.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V