Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

Re: KOBO hates me

There are ways to get rid of the DRM garbage. Then any epub reader on the playbook will suffice.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook & Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Just an update for any curious parties: I received this reply from KOBO:

Hello There

Thank you for contacting Kobo customer care. Your purchased book titled "The Tomb" is in a DRM FREE format that is not compatible with your Black Berry Play Book device, causing it to appear as a free preview. I will escalate this matter up to our Tier 2 team for further assistance. They will contact you back as soon as possible with a resolution to this matter.

The Kobo Team

Contributor
My Device: Playbook, Torch 9800

I encourage everyone to complain to Kobo 

The more complaints, the more likely a fix. 

I noticed the version of Kobo on my Torch does not allow the purchase of DRM free books, which would at least partially resolve my issue. 

Here is another solution: buy the app "Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle books" from the AppStore.  It was $0.99 and it seems to work pretty well so far. 

Then go to the Kobo store with you BROWSER and download the DRM free book from your library the Playbook, and open it with the eBook reader app.

One other thing, check out the Overdrive app that is free. Can't read the DRM free stuff, but you can get free ebooks on loan from the library for up to 3 weeks! 

-J

New Contributor

Update: Kobo's follow-up e-mail from the Tier 2 Team (what does that even mean?) was to thank me and inform me that my account has been credited the $10.07 that I paid for the book I couldn't read on my PB. Well, I'm reading it now, thanks to a forum buddy who directed me to where I can download Android apps, so now I'm reading with the Android Kobo app on my PB. To be honest, I prefer the PB version of the app. I just wish it supported the books I want to read. What I have concluded though, is that Kobo would rather refund people who complain than to update the app, which is pretty annoying. I wonder if I keep buying books and complaining about not being able to read them, will they keep refunding me and letting me read for free?

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

tcrawfor is right in that the Playbook Kobo app requires the books to be DRM'd to work.  As far as I know it is the only version of the Kobo app on any device to have that requirement.

The good news is that you can still read your DRM free Kobo books in a couple of ways.

The first is to load another epub reader onto your Playbook.  You can then go to the KOBO website and simply click the download link for the DRM free book you want to read.  The book will download to the Playbook and then you can open it with the e-reader of your choice.

The second is to sideload the Android KOBO app to your Playbook.  Unlike the Playbook version the Android version doesn't have the DRM issue so once you login to your KOBO account through that app it will download the book without an issue.  The benefit of this method is that because you are still using a version of the KOBO app you have all the same abilities to update your KOBO library and buy new books.  Last I checked it was available on the Goodereader app store as a free download.

My Device: Playbook 32Gb
My Carrier: fido

I am having a similar problem.  Kobo tried to blame it on the Playbook saying that the e-book was not compatible with the tablet.  I am a programmer and this is stupidity at its finest.  An ebook is merely a data file.  It is up to the software, namely the Kobo app, to be compatible.  It appears they have chosen to omit compatibility in the Playbook version of their app for some unknown reason.  

They are quite happy to take your money as you purchase the book, but they just won't allow you to actually read the book!

I have been back and forth with them for a month now and while the young woman on the phone was pleasant enough, still their policy seems to be that the only "solution" is to give me a Kobo store credit so I can buy other books I won't be allowed to read.

I am going to find out how to sideload the Kindle app on my Playbook because after this hassle, I have no desire to ever use Kobo again, and will never recommend them to anyone again.

New Contributor

I fully support that! Follow this link: http://goodereader.com/apps/playbook/playbook-android-apps/?did=177

I was going to use Kobo android app for my book series.. but then Kobo didn't even have the 4th book! So I ended up using the Kindle android app to read what I wanted. Kobo is a joke.

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64, Z-10, Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Kobo's customer service is terrible but I have a question. I've bought many books from them but have never noticed any indication of drm or non-drm books. Can someone enlighten me on this?

New Contributor

-tirgoman

I only started noticing after I bought a DRM free (or whatever is the incompatible one) book. It's like this after thought that's been added under ebook information. So you have to look for it. If you do a search then it's more obvious under Download Options and it's right in front of you. But if you were to click a book suggestion from the home page, then you'd have to look for it. And it might look like this - Download options: Adobe EPUB (DRM-free)

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: none at present

That is why I found "how to load Kindle " on the Blackberry Playbook on line..Followed the directions which werent terribly hard and now have Kindle on my BB..Beats KOBO hands down and a lot more books especially free ones to choose from..

Gene