Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook with Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus

Kobo and importing books

What format does Kobo use?  I have some .pdf books and lots of ePub and .mobi books.  I also have .pdb and even Word books  I have tried importing them into the "Books" folder on the PlayBook and can see them on the PlayBook when browsing my files.  However, I cannot see them on Kobo.

I have read about using Adobe to read the .pdf books, but that is not a solution.  Using Word To Go for the Word books is not the greatest either.  I can't get the others to work either.

I have Calibre which can convert the books to many different formats, but which one should I convert them to?

Should I delete Kobo and get a different reader (I have read this lots as Kobo doesn't seem very popular).

Thanks.

Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: 3 aus

Re: Kobo and importing books

hi.use the epub and kindle reader on app. store,convert all to epub and ive found it works well.It will read kindle files as long as they dont have drm protection.Cheers Mike
Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook 16g,32g, 64g (use this every day still), 2-z10's, Passport

I have just downloaded epub and I can see the book but the reader doen't read that language. It is acsm which reads with adobe digital reader.  any thoughts

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16gb
My Carrier: Shaw

For books you borrow from the library, you need Adobe Digital Edition software.  Then you need to remove the 'security' from the ebook.  You can use  epubee.com  pdf tool for that.   Then copy from your PC to  either the books or downloads folder on the Playbook.    I have just started trying this and don't have the exact steps yet

Contributor

OH, and use Adobe Reader.   I haven't figured out if Kobo will read books other than purchased from then.  It doesn't appear likely.

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: .

jefferyh wrote:

I have just downloaded epub and I can see the book but the reader doen't read that language. It is acsm which reads with adobe digital reader.  any thoughts

have a look at Calibre and see if it converts it to a readable format - http://calibre-ebook.com

Contributor

Caliber may not be able to unlock it if it is a library book, but there is software that will unlock it.  But even then, I have not been able to get KOBO to recognize it.   However Adobe will recognize a  pdf file that has been unlocked.   No bookmark in Adobe that I can see in limited testing.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook 16g,32g, 64g (use this every day still), 2-z10's, Passport

Ok,  I have downloaded Caliber.  I then went to kobo to download a book but it wanted me to download Kobo desktop first. This seemed wrong to me but I did it this way. should I have done something different at this point.  I can see the books but how do I find the books on my desktop to send to Caliber?