Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9790
My Carrier: tmobile

Lack of apps

Hi I just got my PlayBook a few days ago, being a blackberry user I've wanted one to go with my bold for a while. We have an ipad in the house but the kids always steal and I thought this could be my baby. Obviously I knew it would lack in games and stuff but this didn't bother me as it's not gaming I use tablets for. My only problem with the tablet is the lack of basic APPS that all other tablets have. There doesn't even seem to be a proper apply for twitter just takes you to the mobile version. I can't find an ebay app.  I know I can use the mobile website versions for these but I shouldn't have to. Spotify would be nice seeing as I have it on blackberry bold. I do love my PlayBook and I don't want to sound to harsh but a few more of the basic APPS would be nice.

Super Contributor
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

Re: Lack of apps

[ Edited ]

Most of this will be addressed when we get BB10 operating system, but for example...

Twitter, in Blackberry world look at the best there is... Blaq.

Ebay, go to goodereader.com and learn how to sideload the converted android ebay app and hundreds of others.

If you are on Mac or Linux (or even windows), look for sideloading using Google Chrome browser and the Playbook App Manager extension.

My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10 / Passport
My Carrier: O2 UK

[ Edited ]

Like yourself I have despaired at the lack of apps but it has never been a problem because apps is not what makes the PlayBook so useful to me and a valued tool home and away. That said there could be more and at the moment I feel there are many existing PlayBook apps which need an update.  I suspect many apps will not be updated or released for the PlayBook until we get BB10 and please don't ask me when that will be, soon I hope. 

In the meantime check out the link below to the good ereader site. There you will find many useful Android apps which you side load onto your PlayBook using the tool available on the link. There are easy to follow  instructions for doing this and you should have the hang of it in no time. 

The tool to load the apps is the one with the BlackBerry icon Some apps don't run perfectly but like me you should find you end up with a lot more than you started out with. Good luck. 

http://apps.goodereader.com/playbook/playbook-android-apps/

BlackBerry is for Life, not just for Christmas
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9790
My Carrier: tmobile

Thank you both so much for your replies. I will definalty check out sideloading. Let's hope BB10 does find its way to the playbook. Thanks again.