Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Library books

If you find a solution to this problem of DRM protected books I would appreciate and update.  I have had not luck borrowing e-books from the Calgary public Library they are protected just like Toronto Public Library.  I thought I heard Adobe was not going to support the Playbook.

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook, 32 GB, OS 2.01.358
My Carrier: Rogers

Adobe isn't giving up on the PB, it's giving up on Flash for mobiles, because HTML5 has effectively replaced it in that market (they will continue to support existing apps).  Adobe Digital Editions (ADE), which is what you need to unlock library books from Overdrive, is a different, computer-based app, and to use it, you have to have a supported ebook reader.  There's quite a list of supported readers on their site, but the PB isn't included yet -- maybe they're waiting for 2.0, like all of us.  

Adobe has a comment form on their website -- why not leave them a note asking them to support the PB in ADE? 

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook

Thank you for the info. I am going to contact Adobe to find out if they have any plans in the near future of adding the PB

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Here is the response I received today from the Toronto Public Library:

--------------begin quoted message

You are correct that the only mention of the BlackBerry's incompatibility is on the one page, so we often get questions about this. Apparently the BlackBerry OS is not like that of Apple's iOS or Google's Android that have one basic operating system (with various versions) that extend over all of their products, BlackBerry Playbook has it's own OS and the BlackBerry phone apps are not always compatible with the Playbook.

OverDrive does create their app for the various devices, but I have not heard anything about a Playbook app yet. The good news is that there have been reports that the Playbook is preparing to integrate the Android app store into their product, so we're hoping that at that time you would simply be able to install the Android OverDrive Media Console app.

The need for the specific program is indeed related to digital rights management (DRM), as the app has to adhere to Adobe's DRM standards, and be able to register an Adobe ID and open the .acsm files (Adobe Content Server Message) which are downloaded from the OverDrive website and used by the app to download the actual eBook.

We too are anxiously anticipating the Playbook becoming compatible because we've been receiving so much feedback on this matter.

Hope this helps.

--------------end quoted mesage

The page referred to in the first line is this one, which lists the PlayBook as a device incompatible with the OverDrive Media Console:

http://overdrive.com/resources/drc/incompatibledevices.aspx

I would suggest continuing to contact Adobe, OverDrive and the public libraries and to ask when a PlayBook-compatible version of the OverDrive Media Console. The more inquiries they receive, the more likely a version will become available. I wonder if it might also be useful to contact Blackberry: the Toronto Public Library's claim to have "been receiving so much feedback on this matter" might look like an opportunity to enhance the marketability of the PlayBook and prompt them to approach Adobe and OverDrive for a fix. That said, library patrons are probably not a major market.

For non-DRM eBooks, the Book Reader app is, as others have mentioned, a good buy for 99 cents:

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/50823

The KOBO app is fine for books you've bought from the KOBO bookstore and for their limited selection of free books, but it doesn't allow you to side load your non-KOBO books into your library. Side-loading capability was, according to a KOBO product manager writing several months ago, "top of our list" for improvements for the app, but a recent update still lacks this feature.

Regular Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Optimum

[ Edited ]

seekaybee's reply above needs kudos! It explains everything clearly and factually explains the issues.

Susan (a public librarian)

@}-`-,--
Web Development and Technical Services Librarian
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook, Curve
My Carrier: Sasktel Mobility

I agree with Susan. Thanks for that information. And thanks to all who have put thought into this issue since it was opened 3 weeks ago. It is good to see that there are a number of us, as PlayBook owners, who want to use the PB to access libraries and borrow books in the 'eBook' world as we do in the 'paper' world.

I plan to contact both Overdrive and Adobe to request that they provide support to PlayBook.

The other option, I guess, is to wait for Android support (hopefully by February) and hope that the Android apps work well on the PB.

Garry

My Device: playbook 32GB

YES, all Canadian Library books are epub + DRM, and PB apps will not read them.

It is ironic that I went to the Waterloo Public Library and they said SO Sorry SO SAD, RIM Playbook is NOT supported for ebooks ....

johnbear wrote:
The problem isn't epub -- there are epub readers for PB in app world which work fine. But Toronto Public Library / Overdrive books are also locked (DRM), and you also need Adobe Digital Editions on your computer to unlock them and send them to your reader. Unfortunately, ADE doesn't currently recognize the PB as a reader, so we're stuck until they bother to fix that. KOBO seems to work fine, so I can't see any technical problem.

Please send Adobe an email asking them to add the PB to their list of recognized readers.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: Bell

I have to say I'm very disappointed with this.

I bought a Playbook for my wife as a Christmas gift solely for the purpose as an eReader.

I thought I had done due diligence and researched the product well enough, but apparently not.

I've read that OS 2.0 will allow the Playbook to read DRM-eBooks, but the update is not due till February, and who knows if it'll be delayed.

This Saturday we'll be returning the Playbook for an Android-based tablet or the iPad2.

You would think that RIM would have developed a program to allow the ability to read DRM eBooks.

What a joke.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook

I am perfectly satisfied with my Playbook as a eReader! I only download non-DRM books and read them with the 99 cent app - BookReader. The Playbook is not licensed to play DRM ebooks.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: Bell

Can I ask where you get these non-DRM books? Are they free?