Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Sprint

Lock the keyboard

I would love to see an option in the Keyboard section of Playbook settings to turn off the automatic popup of the keyboard whenever you touch inside a textarea input area.  In most cases, it's useful and I would leave it 'unlocked' so that the keyboard automatically pops up.  But there are times I need to be able to touch inside a text input and explicitly don't want the keyboard to pop up.

My use case is as follows:

I'm posting a message in a forum like this on my Playbook.  The textarea input box has a WYSIWYG editor (like this one).  After I type my message, I want to make some of the text bold.  When I touch the textarea, the keyboard pops up and gets focus.  I then tap in the textarea again to get the selection tools.  Then I select the text.  Now I try to touch the bold button, but the keyboard activates and gets the focus so the selection disappears.

If there was an option to lock the keyboard from automatically enabling (while allowing you to bring it up still with a diagonal swipe, I would be able to do much more website maintenance on my Playbook (as well as be able to take advantage of WYSIWYG editors to format my text here).

New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: rogers

Re: Lock the keyboard

A workaround is to connect to a bluetooth keyboard, and use a stand for the playbook, I use it this way, typing on keyboard and navigating/highlighting using the touch screen.
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Lock the keyboard

I understand, but I'm waiting for Blackberry's bluetooth keyboard (with a touchpad). Also, I'd like to be able to do this if I'm out and don't have a keyboard with me. This is a feature I'd like to see in a future update. It seems like a fairly simple fix that would make the Playbook browser much more functional for web admins, bloggers, and forum contributors.