Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360 & Playbook
My Carrier: WIND
Accepted Solution

Lost Bridge Browser

Hi,

After updating my PB to OS2 and Curve 9360 to Blackberry Bridge to 2 I can no longer see the PB bridge browser in my PB.  Any ideas how to get it back?  Curve was updated first.

Thanks,

Art

Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: tigo

Re: Lost Bridge Browser

Hi art i had same cuestion earlier, so i turn of my wifi then i just conect my cell via bluethoot and the normal browser works using my phone dataplan. I suppose that new os doesnt need that icon. Try and coment
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

The bridge browser is not gone per say, if you have the latest Blackberry Bridge, then when you are on the phone and open a website click on the bb button then there is an option to VIEW ON "playbook name", and it will then open the browser on the Playbook with that page

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
New Contributor

Works - seems to be a little convaluted as you need your phone to make it work

My Device: Bold & Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

I am confused.  This is NOT a good upgrade.  It is extra work to browse on your phone, and then View PB.  Besides that , why would I want to use my dataplan, when I could automatically connect to WiFi (before).  It worked seamlessly.  Why did RIM replace OS with an inferior product. 

Contributor
My Device: 8350, 9650, Paybook
My Carrier: Virgin, Verizon

As far as I can tell, the only time you would need the Bridge Browser is if you are accessing web sites behind a firewall in a setup where your phone is behind the firewall but your PB is not. I have this situation with my employer when I connect with my work BB. But I have a Bridge Browser icon when I am bridged with the work BB. I didn't do anything to put it there. It's possible that the icon was installed the first time I triggered the  Bridge Browser from the phone. When I am accessing web sites that are not behind my employer's firewall (most of the time), the regular browser does the job regardless of whether I am running on Bridge or wifi.

My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: 7142725318

This is nonsense.  Without the Bridge, now through Verizon,  I have to buy an additional data package to "tether"  the browser to the phone. It's $20 a month for 2 gigs.  Whereas before by using the Bridge it was covered in the plan.  Nice work RIM. No wonder earnings are in the tank.  Maybe you guys could post some more slick pictures of the PlayBook around the web in order to sell what has effectively become an expensive paperweight.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

febegaia wrote:
Hi art i had same cuestion earlier, so i turn of my wifi then i just conect my cell via bluethoot and the normal browser works using my phone dataplan. I suppose that new os doesnt need that icon. Try and coment

You don't. Need to open the website on your phone. Test turn off wifi open browser open a webpahe on the PB.   

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor

Yes the PB browser acts like the Bridge Browser as long as there is no WIFI signal and Bluetooth is on. So there is no longer a need for the BB. Be aware that if you do not have a unlimited data plan it could prove costly especially if you are roaming.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 8350, 9650, Paybook
My Carrier: Virgin, Verizon

TimHoward wrote:

This is nonsense.  Without the Bridge, now through Verizon,  I have to buy an additional data package to "tether"  the browser to the phone. It's $20 a month for 2 gigs.  Whereas before by using the Bridge it was covered in the plan.  Nice work RIM. No wonder earnings are in the tank.  Maybe you guys could post some more slick pictures of the PlayBook around the web in order to sell what has effectively become an expensive paperweight.

Are you sure that you are not causing yourself problems by unnecessarily activating Internet Tethering on the Playbook? I use the Playbook with both Verizon and Virgin (Sprint) phones using the regular browser over Bridge and have not had any such problem. I usually did not use the Bridge Browser in OS1 either.