Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Magnetic fields vs Touchscreen

Last night I took my Playbook on stage at a concert venue where I work as a sound engineer. I thought I'd use the music app to play some tunes between gigs. As soon as I started the PB the UI went haywire, registering ghost touches and skipping tracks every few seconds. I unplugged from the headphone jack. No difference. I moved away from the stage and the problem went away.

We have some pretty hefty 18" subs directly under the stage. My guess is that their magnetic field is interfering with the PB's touchscreen. I'll try to troubleshoot & narrow it down when I don't have a few hundred people watching ;-)

So, if you have similar issues with the touchscreen, look around you for magnetic sources and maybe take a few steps away.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Magnetic fields vs Touchscreen

I have seen touch screen devices to be sensitive to high power lighting equipment, especially ones that use gas discharge type tubes, or powerfull flourescent type lighting systems.

You can try putting a magnet (not too powerful) near to the screen and see if it is affected.  I have not tried this yet.

There is a video on Youtube where the person put a high voltage Tesla type device near to his Playbook. He showed that it went crazy. Personally, I would never put any computer device in the vacinity of high voltage discharge or where there is strong RF radiation.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Good point. There are a whole bunch of PAR lights directly above the DJ set, and some moving heads nearby. I'll see if it makes any difference with those turned off.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Make sure their power supplies are turned off.

Another thing to think about, the electronic dimmer boards can also cause interference using the power wires as an antenna.

I do some work on the engineering side in TV studios. I have seen some of the lighting equipment and boards cause problems with touch screen control devices.

The new lighting systems coming out are LED based. These are limited and very expensive. The advantage is there will be much less radiation and much less heat. They are slightly more effient than flourescent type lighting. They will also radiate less even though they use switching power supply drive.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.